Valued Contributor

Just curious what your opinion is on this subject. 

Do you think the more jewelry one wears, the tackier it looks?? I’ve seen several women on social media posting photos of what they’re wearing etc and even women out ‘n about who just load up on jewelry, especially bracelets & rings. Nothing really goes together, it just looks like a pile of whatever. It got me thinking sometimes less is definitely more. If I see a woman with a couple of pieces of jewelry on their arm, to me it looks to be much more valuable than when several pieces of all different kinds are being worn. 

Respected Contributor

Some pieces are meant for stacking or layering and others look like a mish mash. There is an art and style in layering so it looks good, not gaudy. Some people just have a knack for it. 

I like to wear several bracelets at once but not a fan of rings on every finger or loading up on necklaces. It’s more an issue of comfort than preference. I can’t move my fingers with multiple rings, and the neck chains get twisted and drive me nuts. If others can pull this off, more power to them. I wear a lot of basics and jewelry is an easy way to keep my look from being boring. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Piling on jewelry

[ Edited ]

I've never been one to pile it on.  I seldom stack bracelets; one is usually enough.  One ring per hand unless I occasionally sport a thumb ring.  One necklace, relatively small earrings.  I love jewelry but when it's piled on I do think it looks tacky.

Some women can carry it off and manage not to look silly, but most cannot.

Adding:  I do stack rings though.  That's a look that I like, but I only do it on one finger.

Honored Contributor

I think that's just a matter of opinion and the fact that you say "piling on" tells us what you think and where you want this to go...lol    Some women like to layer their jewelry, some jewelry is made to be layered.  I don't do much layering but I do wear a lot of jewelry.  Earrings, neck piece, wedding set, right hand ring or rings, watch sometimes a bracelet.  And that's just for everyday.  I don't care if someone thinks it's tacky or too much.  

Respected Contributor

It's not my thing personally, but certain women know how to do it and carry it off very well. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Piling on jewelry

[ Edited ]

It can, yes. There is an art form, I think, to layering jewelry. It also appears to depend on the items of jewelry as well. In a matter of a few minutes, I've seen a woman wearing big earrings, multiple necklaces and braces plus a few rings and look fantastic shortly followed by a woman who looked like she walked out of the flea market wearing every piece of jewelry she could buy.

Why did one look great and the other not? I'm really not sure. Their clothing was similar so it wasn't that.

Regular Contributor

I believe it was Coco Chanel who said something like: Put on the jewelry you want to wear, but take one piece off before you leave the house.

Respected Contributor

I think the trick is to put pieces together that complement each other and not how much you put together. 

And yes, some women do some go completely overboard. More is not always better.

I would not say it is tacky, just a bit much.

But, then again, some women actually can pull that off and look fantastic wearing that much jewelry - maybe it is their personality, their outfit, their hair, their shoes - all rolled into one look at me statement!! A lot of women though would just look like they are trying to hard or just could not decide on their jewelry before heading out the door.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I will usually wear 3 to 5 bracelets if they are meant to be worn together. I wear 3 bracelets from JAI almost daily and have worn 5 bracelets at one time. I wear what I like and I think I know when it's too much or just doesn't go together.

Honored Contributor

I usually wear stud earrings, wedding ring, colored stone ring for right hand, watch, and a bracelet or two.

Most usually earrings, right-handed ring and bracelets are same color.