QVC Community

Peyton's Place-No Buckets of Sleeping Beauty Turquoise

[ Edited ]

Many times you hear that the Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Mine has been closed since the summer of 2012.   Then how are we still able to offer Sleeping Beauty on air?   Over the 30 or so years of mining, many gem dealers collected buckets of rough stones and stored them away in their vaults, storerooms, and even garages.  Occasionally, a gem dealer will offer a bucket of rough Sleeping Beauty Turquoise for sale.

I have posted two pictures from Tucson 2015 and 2016.  Tucson is the largest Gem Show in the World.  These photos were taken at the booth of the largest Turquoise dealer in Arizona.  There were no buckets of Sleeping Beauty at either show.

One of our most important rough gem suppliers lives in Australia, is a personal friend of the owner of the Sleeping Beauty Mine, and has been collecting Sleeping Beauty for over 30 years.  He is now our main source but constantly reminds us that there isn't much left.   If we don’t see the rough stones first, we can’t be 100% sure they are really sleeping beauty.  How much longer will we be able to acquire Sleeping Beauty Turquoise?  No one really knows.

Tucson 2015.jpgTucson 2016.jpgDo you prefer Turquoise with matrix or without?

Be sure to tune in for Gem Day on July 14.  I’m looking forward to sharing the story of our first ever Vault Discovery TSV.

Honored Contributor

Re: Peyton's Place-No Buckets of Sleeping Beauty Turquoise

Well, now you've got me curious about what the TSV is, so I'll have to watch!

Thanks for the information about Sleeping Beauty turquoise.  I like it, but one of my favorite pieces is a ring I got from QVC years ago in a soft green turquoise.  No idea what "kind" it is, but it's very pretty.

I have a lot of Sleeping Beauty and Kingman, too.  I like turquoise in just about any shade!

Regular Contributor

I prefer my turquoise with matrix. Each piece is unique.

Esteemed Contributor

Please -- can you give us an inkling at the TSV?  I suppose the talk about sleeping beauty turquoise might be the hint, but I hope not. 

Despite its scarcity, SB turquoise seems like it's all over the shopping channels. I prefer a little bit of matrix or a setting incorporating translucent/faceted stones because otherwise, SB turquoise looks somewhat flat to me.

Looking forward to a great Gem Day! 

Respected Contributor

With imitation stones looking so authentic any more, SB so often looks like plastic to me and plastic looks a lot like SB.  However they are getting good at creating stones with matrix too. ):

Honored Contributor

I hate to see Sleeping Beauty touted as "the finest turquoise", when that is far from true.  There are many others which are harder and more desirable.  Lander Blue is usually considered the benchmark.  Only about 150 lbs were recovered, it's a gorgeous dark teal with magnificent matrix.

Most turquoise collectors value the stones with interesting, well-distributed matrix, for their character.  Good quality stones from old defunct mines like Morenci and Bisbee are far more valuable than Sleeping Beauty.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Please -- can you give us an inkling at the TSV?  I suppose the talk about sleeping beauty turquoise might be the hint, but I hope not. 

The TSV is a Choice of Oval Cut Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald Ring, 14K Yellow Gold. The stones are halo set with diamonds and there are diamonds down the split shank.

Matching Earrings

Matching Necklace

Matching Bracelet

And it's not Gem Day anymore, there will be 3 hours of fashion programming on Thursday. All jewelry 24-hour events this year have been either reduced in hours or outright cancelled.

Esteemed Contributor

@banned again wrote:

@Sammycat1 wrote:

The TSV is a Choice of Oval Cut Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald Ring, 14K Yellow Gold. The stones are halo set with diamonds and there are diamonds down the split shank.

Matching Earrings

Matching Necklace

Matching Bracelet

And it's not Gem Day anymore, there will be 3 hours of fashion programming on Thursday. All jewelry 24-hour events this year have been either reduced in hours or outright cancelled.

@banned again thanks for the info -- now that's a TSV I can appreciate. It doesn't surprise me that it's not an all-day event.  As I wrote on your other thread, people aren't buying jewelry as much anymore.  But I'll be looking forward to what IS offered that day.  Thanks again!

QVC Community

@Venezia wrote:

Well, now you've got me curious about what the TSV is, so I'll have to watch!

Thanks for the information about Sleeping Beauty turquoise.  I like it, but one of my favorite pieces is a ring I got from QVC years ago in a soft green turquoise.  No idea what "kind" it is, but it's very pretty.

I have a lot of Sleeping Beauty and Kingman, too.  I like turquoise in just about any shade!

Hi @Venezia,  I love all the Turquoise.   Some of my favorites have matrix and more of a green tone. 

The TSV is our first ever choice of Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald Ring.   It is stunning!

Thanks, Peyton

QVC Community

@PickyInPA wrote:

I prefer my turquoise with matrix. Each piece is unique.

@Hi @PicklynPA

I like matrix too.   It shows that it is natural and also gives it character.  Thanks, Peyton