Esteemed Contributor

Peyton Kelley’s back in the house!

It's not  Gem Day at QVC without Peyton and his knowledge about gemstones!

Honored Contributor

Re: Peyton Kelley’s back in the house!

I absolutely LOVE him.  Such a true gentleman and so knowledgeable. OMG some of those items he brings.  If I only had some money to spend.  

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 

There are moments over the years when he's brought more affordable stones set in sterling silver. That's when I have pounced!

Still, like you say, it's wonderful just to watch this first-class gentleman discuss these beautiful pieces. Best show of the day!

Trusted Contributor

Isn't it a pleasure how Peyton can command attention by just using his soft voice to present information?  He's a "rare gem".

Respected Contributor

I agree with everything you all have said.  Peyton is a classy gentleman with a phenomenal knowledge of gemstones.  He always brings remarkably interesting pieces to the Q.

Esteemed Contributor

It would be nice if the Hosts would let him speak and showcase the items. He  told the Host to show the inside and basket on one of the rings .

With prices ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 , you'd think someone could  give us full view of the items rather than look at the Host's hand all night

Respected Contributor

I do like Peyton--he has a pleasant personality and he is very knowledgeable.  But even when he was a QVC buyer he allowed lovely gemstone jewelry to be set with more or less low quality and single cut diamonds, and he has still not changed with his Vault discoveries.

I find all the prices to be extremely high--I am sure he gets a great incentive fee for selling these pieces at a good mark-up from the wholesale costs.

However, if ladies are content to pay the prices and happy with their purchases, he will continue to be popular.  

I think all the QVC jewelry experts bring knowledge, but I believe it is most important that I develop my own expertise, so I know if the stone is high quality and the price is fair.

Esteemed Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

I do like Peyton--he has a pleasant personality and he is very knowledgeable.  But even when he was a QVC buyer he allowed lovely gemstone jewelry to be set with more or less low quality and single cut diamonds, and he has still not changed with his Vault discoveries.

I find all the prices to be extremely high--I am sure he gets a great incentive fee for selling these pieces at a good mark-up from the wholesale costs.

However, if ladies are content to pay the prices and happy with their purchases, he will continue to be popular.  

I think all the QVC jewelry experts bring knowledge, but I believe it is most important that I develop my own expertise, so I know if the stone is high quality and the price is fair.

I agree.  The large Morganite and Pink sapphire ring he showed is lovely.  However, I've seen Morganites with much better color saturation.  He say's it's that sought after Pinky Peach...didn't come across that way for me on the screen.  

In contrast, the smaller Morganite stone with a smatter of diamonds is much more saturated in color, but costs way too much for what you're getting.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

It's not  Gem Day at QVC without Peyton and his knowledge about gemstones!

Can't take away any knowledge from him, that's for sure.  I also like Michael Valitutti as well.  He is soooo enthusiastic when presented his finds.  Well, at least he used to be when he was on Shop HQ.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

I've seen a variety of stones with superior saturation or those with the mark of a great lapidary at the helm or, still, even better diamonds. But this is QVC, not Van Cleef & Arpels or Cartier.

Given their business model and profit expectations, these pieces are lovely. He's a graduate gemologist with considerable--notice I did not say "perfect"--expertise.

I have five big bookshelves full of detailed reading material on gemstones and jewelry; I travel gem hunter expositions and mineral/gem shows; I get dirty and do some digs, and will finish GG work once retired. But I don't kid myself that I have his level of experience, which he then must adjust to QVC expectations and margins, plus have a pleasing personality to present on television. Something's got to give, and the Q gets the final say on what.

A family member works in the upper echelons of Cartier. Jewelry is a tough racket.

Peyton does a great job balancing competing concerns for the QVC customer, and I appreciate it.