Respected Contributor

Re: Pearl setting - asking for opinions

a spectacular lustrous pearl wins my heart and my ring finger in any metal.

Rhodium plated Sterling

Platinum

Yellow Gold

White Gold

Rose Gold

Copper

any precious metal and a gorgeous pearl is a winner in my jewelry box!

Honored Contributor

White.

Respected Contributor

I have pearls that are set in both 14kt yellow gold, 14kt white gold and in sterling silver.

I prefer the pearls set in the white metals.

Honored Contributor

I have a beautiful pearl ring in 14k rose gold. It's amazing how rose gold lights up the pearl.  

Respected Contributor

It's so interesting to read a variety of opinions.  I never thought of the color of the pearl as much, (whether it's black, white or a more golden or a pinkish color), but now I see why many consider that when deciding the color of the metal used in the setting.  And I never thought of rose gold, but I bet that's really pretty!

Since I was very young I've had a love for jewelry.  Love buying it and love talking about it.  Guess you can tell! Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

I have a white pearl ring set in white gold. It is over 50 years old.

Honored Contributor

I dont' wear fresh water pearls, only ocean oysters that are farmed or "natural" (not from farms)  they more limited in color, but yellow gold for the Golden pearls (from the Philippines) white gold for south sea (which is usually white) or Tahitian. I know fresh water pearls have more color, but I would think the same would apply to them. 

Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

Ladies, which color metal do you prefer in a pearl ring?  I noticed that many pearl rings are in 14K yellow gold, but when I look on antique websites, often the setting is white (sometimes white gold, sometimes platinum) 

So, out of curiousity, what is your opinion/preference for the color of the metal in a pearl ring?  Yellow or white? 

@Kalli 

Definitely WHITE metal .... sterling, white gold or platinum.   Never yellow.

Respected Contributor

I have a pearl ring with 2 small diamonds on either side and it is in white gold. I inherited this ring. However I think that either white or yellow gold would be perfect depending on which metal you prefer. You can't go wrong.