Respected Contributor

Pearl setting - asking for opinions

[ Edited ]

Ladies, which color metal do you prefer in a pearl ring?  I noticed that many pearl rings are in 14K yellow gold, but when I look on antique websites, often the setting is white (sometimes white gold, sometimes platinum) 

So, out of curiousity, what is your opinion/preference for the color of the metal in a pearl ring?  Yellow or white? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Pearl setting - asking for opinions

I don't wear white metals, so it'd be a vote for yellow gold from me. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

personally - i use to wear yellow gold and then switched to SS or white gold

but nowadays. - i really dont wear jewelry

anyway ... i kinda like this setting - yellow gold for golden pearl

white gold for black or white pearls

white or rose gold for pink pearls

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 4.33.28 PM.png

Honored Contributor

I prefer yellow gold settings for pearls unless the pearls are surrounded by genuine diamonds. If the diamonds are larger and better color, then it depends on the color of the pearl. If the pearl is pure white with the diamonds I like a white gold setting but if the pearl leans toward cream coloring then I prefer yellow gold. 

Esteemed Contributor

The answer is - yes! And I also like 2-tone, which I also have!

Honored Contributor

@Kalli - I have a simple Mikimoto pearl ring set in 14K gold, a gift from DH. My mom had a beautiful pearl ring surrounded by tiny diamonds set in white gold. DD has it, but she's afraid to wear it! 

I think it really does depend on the setting of the ring itself and the wearer's preference!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I have a Levian chocolate & diamond pearl solitaire pendant in rose gold and it's stunning.  It's so flattering against skin tone & goes with everything!

Honored Contributor

@Kalli   I think it can be set in either metal depending whether you prefer to wear yellow or white gold. 

Respected Contributor

I prefer yellow gold with pearls.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me it depends on the color of the pearl. Golden South Sea look good in yellow gold, while Black Tahitian look good in white metals. Many natural color pearls look beautiful in rose gold, too.  White pearls can go either way...a matter of personal preference.