Honored Contributor

Paperclip jewelry, so 2020's?

I'm seeing this all over and so far own three bracelets.  I have to work on a necklace, I guess.  How about a paperclip ring?  I can envision one, tiny narrow links in totally accurate scale.  Earrings I will pass on, just too much for my taste.  My earrings are studs or conservative drops.  Do you think this trend will turn into a staple, or will we move on to something else?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paperclip jewelry, so 2020's?

I think the idea has been around for many years though I am not sure when exactly it was invented.  They say it's a trend that never goes out of style.  With all the jewelry pieces I own I don't have one!   For some reason I was never really attracted to that specific design.  But I think they can look pretty on others.

Honored Contributor

I still have paper clip jewelry my husband gave me in the '70s.

Respected Contributor

I bought a super heavy 14K gold paperclip necklace from Macy's this summer.   Macy's doesn't advertise the weight but I chatted with CS and it came in well over 14 grams for under $700.  I thought that was a great deal for what gold is going for now.     

Those deals are hard to come by but maybe with their F&F sale coming up this month, they might sneek another deal in there somewhere.

Valued Contributor

These things come and go but if you like it enough, you can make it your thing and you'll always be able to carry it off no matter what.

That being said, yes, I think paperclip jewelry is a current fad and it's probably already past its peak now since it's everywhere.  

if I were going to buy a paperclip item right now, I'd buy something very delicate, airy and just suggestive of the paperclip trend without being obvious.
That way, if it's not your signature style, come-hell-or-high-water, you'll still feel comfortable wearing it long after everyone else has moved on to the next thing.

Valued Contributor

Coco Chanel designed the paperclip necklace about 100 years ago I think. The three she made are prized by their owners, and are passed down usually. Supposedly one came on the market once and Jackie Kennedy snapped it up. They used to sell a copy version on QVC. I watch too much QVC apparently.

Honored Contributor

When i see the necklaces presented on TV, it looks to me like they dont lay properly, I would be leery of a necklace. 

Honored Contributor

The paperclip is popular now and never really went away. It's just that everyone is wearing that link now so it appears to be a trend...but it's a classic style.

Remember when circle links were really popular? I still see it worn today but not as much as before. 

Honored Contributor

Some links are classics and timeless such as Byzantine, Vite Nailhead, Figaro, Mariner, Singapore, Greek Key, Wheat, San Marco, Curb. 

Respected Contributor

I have a white gold bracelet that I purchased in the 90s. It can be taken as a paper clip bracelet. There is always something new on the horizon, that's how they sell jewelry ( and pretty much everything for that matter).