Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paging Sammycat -bling alert

Hi Jersey and Crazed,

You both have a sharp eye. Tibetanite is very similar to the color change/shift properties of alexandrite.

"Tibetanite" is merely the marketing name for a gemstone called andesine mined in Tibet.

A translucent, faceted gem, andesine is a less familiar name to gem lovers but I'll bet you know the opaque form of it: labradorite.

Although most andesine hails from the Andes Mountains, recent deposits have been found in Tibet. Andesine was first discovered in the lavas of the Andes Mountains somewhere in the mid-19th century, I believe. The Q used to carry this gem years ago, often setting it in gold. It has a Mohs hardness rating of 6.5-7, depending on which gemological authority you consult.

Organizations controlling this andesine from Tibet wanted to market it differently from that of Colombia and other South American locations, so they coined it "Tibetanite." It is basically the same thing as andesine, though.

It's the same sort of situation like Tanzanite, which is really blue zoisite found in Tanzania, Africa.

I have a few pieces and it's a mesmerizing gem to view, with its color play of white, pale orange, green and sable/brown hues. To me, yellow gold/vermeil settings show it to advantage, but I do have a few pieces in white metals, too.

Hope this helps!

Respected Contributor

Fascinating, Sammycat. Thank you for the information. You are indeed our resident gemologist.

Trusted Contributor

I would like a pocket version of sammycat to carry around with me at all times.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/9/2014 Sakuya said:

Well, this isn't me but I think it will fit better in your pocket. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

LINK

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/9/2014 Jersey Born said:

Fascinating, Sammycat. Thank you for the information. You are indeed our resident gemologist.

Thanks Jersey Born. I just came back from a regional gem show and was so dazzled by the exhibits that DH said I was "glowing." Their beauty and variety just draw me in!

Trusted Contributor

On 1/9/2014 Sammycat1 said:
On 1/9/2014 Sakuya said:

Well, this isn't me but I think it will fit better in your pocket. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

LINK

It just wouldn't be the same.

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2014 Jersey Born said:

Yes, Thanks for the info. I HAVE heard of Andesine and it's connection with Labradorite. I didn't know of the fancy schmancy name "Tibetanite". Thanks again!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

We all have two lives. The second begins when you realize you only have one - Confucius