Super Contributor

Ordering a ring one size too big

I have fallen in love with a ring on Poshmark but it is a size too big. Have you ever ordered a larger size and then had it resized or used those sizing coils? How did it work out; and if you had it resized do you remember the cost. Thanks in advance for any opinions!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ordering a ring one size too big

[ Edited ]

I have had many of my own rings resized smaller as a result of significant weight loss. I recommend that the ring be at least 10k gold (white or yellow) or platinum. Many jewelers will not resize SS. The band should also be thin or tapered on the palm side, with no stones or few stones set in the band.

The last ring I had sized was 14k. Bought from the jeweler- an estate piece, not new. I paid $25.00. I can't recall exactly; I think it was sized down.YMMV. 

Sizing down should cost less than sizing up as you are only paying for the labor, and not additional precious metal.

I hope your purchase works out for you. I could never buy fine jewelry except in person. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have done this in the past but I generally will just wear it on a different finger rather than have it sized.  Also DH did  buy me another diamond ring for one of our anniversaries that was a  size too large.   For that one I wear a ring size adjuster.  They have them on Amazon and there are many to choose from.  I bought mine quite awhile back on HSN, I don't think they carry them anymore.  I searched but I didn't find it.

Respected Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

I have had many of my own rings resized smaller as a result of significant weight loss. I recommend that the ring be at least 10k gold (white or yellow). Many jewelers will not resize SS. The band should also be thin or tapered on the palm side, with no stones or few stones set in the band.

The last ring I had sized was 14k. Bought from the jeweler- an estate piece, not new. I paid $25.00. YMMV.

@queendiva.  Your jeweler sold a $14,000 ring to you for $25?

Respected Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@queendiva wrote:

I have had many of my own rings resized smaller as a result of significant weight loss. I recommend that the ring be at least 10k gold (white or yellow). Many jewelers will not resize SS. The band should also be thin or tapered on the palm side, with no stones or few stones set in the band.

The last ring I had sized was 14k. Bought from the jeweler- an estate piece, not new. I paid $25.00. YMMV.

@queendiva.  Your jeweler sold a $14,000 ring to you for $25?

I took it to mean ring was 14 karat gold and cost $25 to size down.

Respected Contributor

@gellen.  These work really well, there are different band sizes in the packet, are comfortable and you can barely see them. Found them on Amazon.  Around $10 for the packet.

Screenshot_20230604-073556_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gellen wrote:
I have fallen in love with a ring on Poshmark but it is a size too big. Have you ever ordered a larger size and then had it resized or used those sizing coils? How did it work out; and if you had it resized do you remember the cost. Thanks in advance for any opinions!

@gellen @Certain style rings can't be resized, e.q., eternity rings with stones all the way around. If it's a 14K gold ring, that's not an eternity style, it should be easy to have sized down one size. There are also ring inserts that can be used to size downward. Sorry, I don't know what jewelers are charging these days. 

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@gellen.  These work really well, there are different band sizes in the packet, are comfortable and you can barely see them. Found them on Amazon.  Around $10 for the packet.

Screenshot_20230604-073556_Amazon Shopping.jpg

@rockygems123 @gellen @@Be careful with this style sizer, some brands work great but I bought one once that would just pop off. Luckily, it was inexpensive. Read the reviews if you order. 

Super Contributor

Thanks for all the advice. It is not an expensive ring. If resizing is too expensive and the coils don’t work I will just give it to a friend with larger fingers!🖐🏻
Esteemed Contributor

@rockygems123 : Please read carefully. I posted that the ring was set in 14k. Nowhere do you see a $ sign.

You're welcome.