Esteemed Contributor

Omega Back Earrings......Fan or Not...............?.

I have noticed that QVC is bringing in more Omega Back earrings ....i did order a silver pair this past year and i found them not very comfortable ..............was wondering how others felt? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Omega Back Earrings......Fan or Not...............?.

Uncomfortable

Honored Contributor

I loathe omega back earrings. The design itself is unattractive, in my opinion, it distracts so much from the earring itself.  It looks like too much "construction" and takes the beauty away from the earring.  Perhaps it's cheaper to make since each pair of earrings saves a bit of the precious metal that you don't get, to allow for that large omega back.

Honored Contributor

It depends on the earring.  I think omega backs hold a larger earring in the correct upright position much better than clutch backs do.  However, if the earring is smaller, there is really no need.

I don't find omega backs to be uncomfortable, but then I only have a couple of pairs of them.  They are Ripka.

Respected Contributor

I love Omega backs.  They keep earrings upright on the ear. If you are having discomfort a pair of needle nose plyers are used to adjust the tension, or have your local jeweler do it.  It takes seconds.

Honored Contributor

I have some I love because they keep the earring in place, but I've also had some smaller ones I really don't find easy to put on.

If you have an uncomfortable omega (too tight), take the earring to a jeweler and they can adjust it very easily.   I've never been charged because it's such a quick fix.

To the poster who said we're getting less metal with an omega -  I don't think so -  all my omega backs have a solid backing and that's not true when there's a poist or a hook.   Could be the earrings I chose, but that's my experience.

Respected Contributor

I hate them! I lost 2 very expensive earrings because of this "more expensive" back. All they do is catch in my long hair and pop open and then disappear forever. I also think that they distract from the design of the earring. They look awful. I will never buy another omega back earring.

Honored Contributor

Definitely not!  They are too tight and uncomfortable.  I have had my jeweler adjust the fit and they still feel horrible.  

Honored Contributor

I always hated them and found them uncomfortable until the lovely ladies of this board told me they could be adjusted.  Bingo.  Problem solved.

I only like them on larger earrings that would flop forward with any other kind of back.

Respected Contributor

I prefer them since there is no flimsy catch bar or backs to look for.  I am one of the few tha don't like french lever backs.