Trusted Contributor

Old QVC jewelry; what a difference from now!

As I go through my mothers' estate, I discovered her HUGE collection of jewelry from QVC, HSN and SHOPNBC (now known as SHOP HQ). There are some GORGEOUS pieces from 10, 15 plus years ago. I mean WOW in gold weight, design and stones. She kept the info with each item so I have the gram weight, the stones, the designer and even the price she paid. It's so sad to see how far down the quality and offers from these 3 places have become.

On another note, I was shocked to see how crappy the quality was from Affinity back in the day; NOTHING like it is now. If my mom hadn't kept the info with the items, I would never have known they were Affinity items as you need a magnifying glass to see the diamond specks in the item. 

Also, found some Ripka pieces. Boy, are they HEAVY sterling silver!! Also very bright in color. They are in soft mint green boxes with all the info; cuff bracelets, some with Diamonique stones, some with amethyst stones, a gorgeous double strand necklace with a heart charm/pendant....can't find any info on them in a search but very pretty. Are her silver pieces always this shiny? It almost looks fake.

In any event, it's been an interesting journey seeing the gorgeous stuff once sold here and at the other places.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Re: Old QVC jewelry; what a difference from now!

[ Edited ]

Kudos to your mother for being so organized.  It is making your job much easier, and of course I selfishly have to ask if you are keeping this collection or selling it.  If it is through Ebay, perhaps you could make some specific statement that we could recognize?  I totally agree with you about Ripka quality, two of my most cherished bracelets are from her and they look brand new.  I also agree on Affinity, I bought one piece years ago and sent it back.  They don't realize we have jewelers loupes.  So I've never given that line a second chance.  

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

As I go through my mothers' estate, I discovered her HUGE collection of jewelry from QVC, HSN and SHOPNBC (now known as SHOP HQ). There are some GORGEOUS pieces from 10, 15 plus years ago. I mean WOW in gold weight, design and stones. She kept the info with each item so I have the gram weight, the stones, the designer and even the price she paid. It's so sad to see how far down the quality and offers from these 3 places have become.

On another note, I was shocked to see how crappy the quality was from Affinity back in the day; NOTHING like it is now. If my mom hadn't kept the info with the items, I would never have known they were Affinity items as you need a magnifying glass to see the diamond specks in the item. 

Also, found some Ripka pieces. Boy, are they HEAVY sterling silver!! Also very bright in color. They are in soft mint green boxes with all the info; cuff bracelets, some with Diamonique stones, some with amethyst stones, a gorgeous double strand necklace with a heart charm/pendant....can't find any info on them in a search but very pretty. Are her silver pieces always this shiny? It almost looks fake.

In any event, it's been an interesting journey seeing the gorgeous stuff once sold here and at the other places.

completely I have some technibond pieces that I am go to sell, they still look great after what must be 15-20 years, I think they used 18K then 

Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee 

It must be hard to go through the things that were once so meaningful to your mother.

At least your "little discoveries" will keep your mood positive.

It appears that going through them, you can tell,  she intended to make it easier for you.

Thank you for sharing - if you can, post some pics of the things that are most like you'd purchase "today" ...

I'd love to share in her love of jewelry.

Take care.

Esteemed Contributor

If her pieces go back to the mid 90s they will really knock your sox off.  Those were the days.

Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee  Yes, Ripka pieces have always been shiny.  I shopped and bought several of her pieces at Nordstroms back in the day and they were shiny.  In fact I bought more David Yurman because his silver is a different less shiny color.  I too have some early QVC Ripka pieces and they are heavy and held up beautifully.  It is a shock to compare my old gold and gem jewelry with the newer offerings.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Trusted Contributor

@Still Raining Yes, many of the items are from the 90's and all I can say is WOW. WTH happened to the amazing quality and designs?!

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

D'accord, the 90s silver pieces from Milor and Godfrey Carter are outstanding. QVC also carried a huge selection (and a weekly one-hour program) of Southwestern silver. What has truly bucked the trend of declining QVC quality and design since the 90s is Ecclissi watches; they are sleeker and more sophisticated at present, an improvement over Elizondo's older designs which almost always made use of two-tone.

Please let us know how to search these pieces out, I know I would be interested in purchasing, and my condolences.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Oh my yes, I still have large, thick, solid sterling silver and 14K gold pieces from the late 80's, early 90's, we don't see today.  Of course, gold and silver prices have gone up, but then, QVC's settings became flimsy, semi-precious stones lighter and lighter rather than the intense deep colors first sold.

Even Joan Rivers jewelry was much nicer then.  

I stopped buying.  

Honored Contributor

@banned again wrote:

D'accord, the 90s silver pieces from Milor and Godfrey Carter are outstanding. QVC also carried a huge selection (and a weekly one-hour program) of Southwestern silver. What has truly bucked the trend of declining QVC quality and design since the 90s is Ecclissi watches; they are sleeker and more sophisticated at present, an improvement over Elizondo's older designs which almost always made use of two-tone.

Please let us know how to search these pieces out, I know I would be interested in purchasing, and my condolences.

the resell sites are full of Q and H jewellry and if you have been watching for years it's easy to tell what's what.  prices can be all over the place tho,