Esteemed Contributor

Re: New get rich quick scheme. Pearl Party Scam

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Have you been approached to go to a house party or have seen the live events on facebook or esty?  Oyster with pearl inside either in a can or in a plastic bag mailed to you.   Live events in a shell laying in a dish.

Some are legitimate, perhaps . While others are not.  Do your homework before attending.

Oh my goodness, I had a "Pearl Party" about 25 years ago! They came to my house with a tank of oysters. I had about 15 people (friends and family) who chose their oyster and received a "free" pearl. Of course, they wanted to sell the settings, which were in 14KG. They were quite reasonable at that time, and I bought myself a heavy 14K white gold setting to make into a ring. I still have it although I haven't worn it in many years. My mother bought the same one in yellow gold, and she gave it to me because she didn't wear hers either.

They are worth a LOT more today, of course. I was going to sell them and then had second thoughts, but next time gold goes up, I'm selling them.

I don't know what kind of offers are out there now, but we had a load of fun!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

If you watch Honora shows Joel sometimes shows video of them out on boats collecting oysters and when they open one for the camera - the pearls are not lying loose in the shell , they are adhered to the mother of pearl and would have to be carefully extracted from it by an expert who knows how to do that.

Super Contributor

Re: New get rich quick scheme. Pearl Parties....

My sister-in-law used to sell jewelry from Premier Designs. Most of the jewelry is custome jewelry, but some  are Sterling silver with genuine gemstones. I own some of the pieces and they are good quality. My cousin used to sell Anway products. 

A girl from my group church at the time is still involved with Mary Kay products. She tried to convince me to be a seller, but I declined. Later, I figure out that Mary Kay used to be a cruelty -free company and now it is not. When I ask her that the company is selling products that test on animals, she told me no. Then I when a website that list cruelty -free products and Mary Kay is not longer one of them. I don't use that company products anymore.

The lawsuit against that pearl company is what they deserve for mispresented products as quality products, when they are not. I visited their website, just for curiosity. I'm not interested. The CEO of that company needs to serve jail time.

Esteemed Contributor

These "parties" are making the rounds now. As much as I hated going to 'Home Parties'....at least you got to spend an evening with friends with coffee and dessert. Now you have to be onlne and are expected to just BUY!