Super Contributor

Re: Need suggestions... how does one get a jewelry appraisal?

Jewelry should be appraised by a certified appraiser that doesn't sell jewelry...that way there isn't a conflict of interest.

As far as leaving jewelry, I left my mother's diamond engagement ring to be sized down when she passed. I was hoping to wear it on a daily basis. This jeweler I had known for more than twenty years lost the ring. I was heartbroken because it had sentimental value and was purchased by my father many years prior. That taught me to NEVER leave jewelry with anyone and have everything done in front of me.

Honored Contributor

Do use a nicer jewelry store or better yet, an estate jeweler. Most estate jewelers know their stuff and appraisal is a big part of what they do.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

On 5/30/2014 ennui1 said:
On 5/30/2014 Skylands said:
On 5/30/2014 gigy said:

I suggest a reputable jewelry store that you know of and can trust. If you have to leave the item with them, make sure to take a photo of it and get a receipt that they are holding it for appraisal. I tend to get nervous about leaving diamonds with anyone but other pieces should be okay.

Yes, good advice, however a photo is not going to protect U. Stay there while the jewelry is being appraised. Trust me on this.

Alternatively, U can Google appraisers, contact them and send pictures of the pieces you want for insurance purposes.

Wanting to stand and wait isn't always an option. If the jeweler is busy, they'll probably just hand back your item and show you the door.

I can't imagine anyone appraising anything from a photograph. You can't grade diamonds from a photo.

Make an appointment so the expert will be expecting you and will be available to conduct the appraisal while you are there! If you're just looking for an assessment of the identity/quality/clarity/value of the gold and gems, any certified gemologist should be able to help you. If the piece of jewelry is rare, antique, or has a history that will likely enhance the value, you may need to seek out someone who is experienced in appraising antique/estate jewelry.

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/1/2014 ennui1 said:
On 6/1/2014 NYC Susan said:

I don't really understand what a waiting list has to do with it. The appraisal itself doesn't take long at all, and there's no reason for anyone to "stand and wait". Just schedule a time and stay while it's done. I've always been there when my jewelry was appraised - all comfy in a nice chair that was provided specifically for that purpose.

I've lived in several places - NYC and small towns, too, and I've never been told to leave my jewelry there.

OK, which small towns? Saratoga NY doesn't count.

The waiting list has a lot to do with it; the appraiser would call you in three months. Is that acceptable to you?

Saratoga NY doesn't count? Who said anything about Saratoga?

I don't understand your last sentence either. What does that have to do with leaving jewelry there rather than waiting while it's appraised?

Kiss

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/2/2014 serenity4ever said:

Jewelry should be appraised by a certified appraiser that doesn't sell jewelry...that way there isn't a conflict of interest.

As far as leaving jewelry, I left my mother's diamond engagement ring to be sized down when she passed. I was hoping to wear it on a daily basis. This jeweler I had known for more than twenty years lost the ring. I was heartbroken because it had sentimental value and was purchased by my father many years prior. That taught me to NEVER leave jewelry with anyone and have everything done in front of me.

Exactly! And there's no reason to leave it. If they're too busy to do it when you drop in, just schedule an appointment and stay while it's done.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. :-( A hard lesson to learn.

Esteemed Contributor

You need to get a certified appraiser. All jewelers ARE NOT certified appraisers