Respected Contributor

Re: Need suggestions... how does one get a jewelry appraisal?

On 5/30/2014 ennui1 said:
On 5/30/2014 Skylands said:
On 5/30/2014 gigy said:

I suggest a reputable jewelry store that you know of and can trust. If you have to leave the item with them, make sure to take a photo of it and get a receipt that they are holding it for appraisal. I tend to get nervous about leaving diamonds with anyone but other pieces should be okay.

Yes, good advice, however a photo is not going to protect U. Stay there while the jewelry is being appraised. Trust me on this.

Alternatively, U can Google appraisers, contact them and send pictures of the pieces you want for insurance purposes.

Wanting to stand and wait isn't always an option. If the jeweler is busy, they'll probably just hand back your item and show you the door.

I can't imagine anyone appraising anything from a photograph. You can't grade diamonds from a photo.

Make an appointment. Most jewelry stores I've been in are usually very empty inside. How busy R they that they can't appraise a walk-in?

I can't imagine leaving my diamonds, rubies & emeralds off and trusting they'll be the exact same ones when I come back. You have to be kidding?

Honored Contributor

Thank you for all of these great suggestions and thank you for the advice, too! : )

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

I can't imagine leaving my diamonds, rubies & emeralds off and trusting they'll be the exact same ones when I come back. You have to be kidding?

It's not that difficult to find trustworthy people.

I'm sorry you live in paranoia, thinking everyone is going to steal from you. It's sad.

Valued Contributor

Your insurance company should have a list of reputable jewelry appraisers.
Respected Contributor

On 5/30/2014 ennui1 said:

It's not that difficult to find trustworthy people.

I'm sorry you live in paranoia, thinking everyone is going to steal from you. It's sad.

Oh pleeez lady! Live & learn.

Respected Contributor

Ask your insurance company who they reccomend. I would look for a GIA graduate who does this in house. This does take a while, so don't take a bunch at a time (some bring a jewelry box and wonder why its not done in an afternoon) especially if the item has multiple stones. Prices vary at place to place for appraisals so you may want to price compare too.
Super Contributor

Here's a few links for information on choosing a jewelry appraiser. Click, Click and Click.

There's many more in the minute it took me to find these three. I can see why a person could get confused.

ETA: As for the last link, my laptop still thinks we live in AZ. lol

Honored Contributor

Thank you for your helpful suggestions! Although I had mentioned some of these to my DH, I imagine he appreciates hearing it from "the experts!" ( I know some of you are experts and I trust your experiences/opinions!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

We use a neighborhood jeweler that we've been using for over 20 years. Just remember that because an item appraises for a certain amount that in no way could you ever expect to sell it for that amount - most items appraise for about twice the amount they would actually sell for.

Honored Contributor

Didn't see this posted yet, but everyone does know that an ethical appraiser will never offer to buy jewelry that he or she has appraised, right?