Honored Contributor

Need help with watch batteries

DH thinks I should pull the stems out to stop the batteries on watches I'm not wearing.  Then I read somewhere you should keep the stems in while they reside in the drawer.  So two years ago I got 5 watches set up with new batteries and put four of them away.  Six months later It was time to switch to a summer watch and the batteries on all of them had stopped working.  Is there any solution here, I've  worn only one watch since this happened and I'm bored with it.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Need help with watch batteries

I do that, pull stems out on my gold watches. Other watches I just replace with the local jewelers.

walmart used to replace batteries , but, think they quit.

don't know  if it makes any difference

Honored Contributor

Never heard that about the stems.  But IMO a battery should last a lot longer than 6 months whether the watch is worn or not.  I don't often wear a watch and have 3 of them and they keep time for years.  

Honored Contributor

It would make sense to me that the stem should be pulled out for storage.  From my recollection, most new watched arrive with a little white stopper under the stem.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pulling the stem out to prolong battery life is not true. Batteries run out of juice all on their own no matter if the stem is in or out. Watches use such small amounts of the battery that it doesn't make any significant difference.  Also, when you pull the stem out that allows fine dust, particles and humidity to enter the watch case. If you've ever seen a stem taken out of a watch you'll see that it has a tiny o-ring on it to seal out stuff from going inside the case. Keep the stem pushed in to keep the inside of the case clean.

Should I Pull Out the Stem on My Watch to Save Battery?

Respected Contributor

Don't pull stems-----I did that on 3 14k watches and 

jeweler went nuts. The batteries leak and cause rust inside watch works.

Respected Contributor

@IMW wrote:

Don't pull stems-----I did that on 3 14k watches and 

jeweler went nuts. The batteries leak and cause rust inside watch works.

I totally agree.  I was told by a jeweler not to pull stems.  It doesn't help in any way whatsoever.  I don't know why QVC tells people that information but it's completely inaccurate.

Honored Contributor

I always pull out the stems as soon as I take a watch off,  been doing it for 30 years, never had any issues. 

Esteemed Contributor

I always pull the stems. On the ones I didn't....they had fresh batteries, and 9 months later, they didn't work. The batteries died. Stems out here. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I always pull out the stems as soon as I take a watch off,  been doing it for 30 years, never had any issues. 

Same here, no issues.