Regular Contributor

On TV.....guess I'll be saving my money!!

Honored Contributor

Re: NO GRAM WEIGHTS ON GOLD?

I can't remember when they last gave gram weight.  Seems like a couple of years or more.  Once gold got so expensive, I believe.

Honored Contributor

I don't remember them ever giving gram weights for gold.  It's why I never bought gold from them.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They used to proudly brag about the gram weight and cost per gram.  Now it's never mentioned.  They're often unmentionably miserly in weight, which is probably why.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

In the 80s, they told the gram weight. I knew it so well, and bought TONS of gold from QVC. The only problem I came across, time and time again, was when I started to sell it, I always got the same question..."Where did you get this"? I was told that most of my pieces were not 14k gold, but somewhere in the 13, or even 12.5 K gold. Anyway, it's all gone now, and I have no interest in buying again.

Esteemed Contributor

Btw, gold is over $1600 an oz today.

Honored Contributor

@Sassyboo3 wrote:

On TV.....guess I'll be saving my money!!

I remember Lisa Robertson saying when she was presenting Barbara Bixby saying her jewelry should have a gram weight because her pieces were so substantial.  I believe I heard Nanch Hornbeck say the same thing about Barbara's pieces.  Silver gram weight is important too. But Q does not give the information.  

Respected Contributor

QVC always gave gram weights all the way through the early 2000's. They quit when the price of gold quadrupled. Nobody wants to hear that a $200 necklace only weighs 3 grams or less.

Trusted Contributor

Am I imagining that gram weights are often (not always) listed online?  I know some of the EternaGold pieces do not list the gram weight, but on the web pages, most gold jewelry does disclose it.  I never watch the shows, but I've bought numerous pieces online over the years and I'm sure I've seen it.  If there is no weight listed, I usually won't buy.

Super Contributor

i bought a bracelet as a gift for someone at xmas. both of us were flabergasted by what a piece of garbage it was. it was so lightweight it was unbelievable. same thing happened with a pair of earrings too. i remember the good old days at qvc when they used real gold that was substansial. in weight. from now on i won't buy anything without the gram weight clearly stated.