Honored Contributor

Re: My retirement jewelry “wants” maybe crafting?

I love that ladybug bracelet! @LTT1 It's a nice take on the traditional Kabbalah bracelet. So cute.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@software@ALRATIBA

Thank you for your posts!

My friend and I agree about the dexterity thing...I doubt it is still doable!

My response was...maybe we can take the class and hand it to the instructor to do any 

“knot work.”

For instance, does anybody know how this type is made?:

AC95F82A-537F-4180-9731-19D673C2C727.jpeg

Does the leather beading come pre-made? Or is the art of it like “sewing” attaching each bead by thread to the leather? I’m in it for the social factor! Although, the DGCs might enjoy the ladybug friendship bracelets!

@LTT1  Hi. Since the beads have holes, the leather strips are placed on each side. I tape my beginning end to my work table w/ masking tape or if heavier materials, anchor the end in my vise. The beads are then woven w/ finer thread in and out of the beads while also winding around the leather cording. ***I talk w/ my hands a lot, or could draw it out for you, but this is the best I can do w/ words. Lol. Hope it helped.

Honored Contributor

@orphan annie325 wrote:

I don't know if your cable service brings you JTV channel, but on  Sun, Mon and Tues mornings they offer a jewel school.  They have supplies for making your own jewelry as well as tutorials on their web site to further help.  If you don't receive their channel, check out their web site, you might find what you're looking for.  Or at least some interesting options.

@orphan annie325  YouTube and Pinterest also have great tutorials.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@software@ALRATIBA

Thank you for your posts!

My friend and I agree about the dexterity thing...I doubt it is still doable!

My response was...maybe we can take the class and hand it to the instructor to do any 

“knot work.”

For instance, does anybody know how this type is made?:

AC95F82A-537F-4180-9731-19D673C2C727.jpeg

Does the leather beading come pre-made? Or is the art of it like “sewing” attaching each bead by thread to the leather? I’m in it for the social factor! Although, the DGCs might enjoy the ladybug friendship bracelets!

@LTT1  Hi. Since the beads have holes, the leather strips are placed on each side. I tape my beginning end to my work table w/ masking tape or if heavier materials, anchor the end in my vise. The beads are then woven w/ finer thread in and out of the beads while also winding around the leather cording. ***I talk w/ my hands a lot, or could draw it out for you, but this is the best I can do w/ words. Lol. Hope it helped.

***** The stitch used to “sew” the beads to the leather cord is similar to a blanket stitch, running stitch, etc.

Honored Contributor

thank you all ——really great info here!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1

I have made a lot of beaded jewelery in my life, the multi row bracelet, looks like it is woven perhaps on a loom

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

Jewel School is on Wednesdays from 12-2, as well - and then there's Jewel School Extra, on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, from 4-7. You can catch it on Facebook Live on the Jewel School page, or on the JTV website.

Super Contributor

That looks like a Laura Gasparrini bracelet. She has three books out about making jewelry from leather and beads (available from the JTV website or her own website).

Valued Contributor

I have been enjoying the Jewelry School presentations on JTV dot com.