Honored Contributor

Re: My JR morganite ring came!

@Shawnie wrote:

If you don’t love it, why would you ask us what to do?  Why would you keep it?   We aren’t gemologists, your pics aren’t clear anyway .

BTW unless there was a leather ring box with a pouch in that box i would be screaming.  If you do return it be SURE and insure it for the full price you paid.

@Shawnie I am a gemologist. I worked for Tiffany's and have my GIA.

I was shocked to read that Judith Ripka is now using I2 diamonds in her jewelry. I2 diamonds are industrial quality and used in inferior quality jewelry. That would be a deal breaker for me. SI1 diamonds would have been the better choice if Ms Ripka was cutting corners. However, a ring well over $2000.00 should at least be adorned by higher quality diamonds. The morganite I would need to see in person to appraise...

I hope the OP is able to go to a fine jewelry store and gets the information she needs to make a good decision..

Esteemed Contributor

The ring is beautiful and I think the price is fair.  I have smaller morganite pieces and I love them but do not wear too much because they wash out in my hand. Maybe that is what left you underwhelmed?  You didn't include a picture wearing the ring!  I don't wear mine much, but I do have a much larger rose quartz ring, with a more pinkish hue that I love and wear a lot.  It was a Rarities purchase from the early days, several years ago, and expensive at the time but a good investment, because I couldn't find anything like that now.  (not becase of resale value which is probably a small fraction of the price). I get lots of compliments on the rose quartz.  I don't regret any of these beatiful purchases.

I wouln't make a decision based on the box, which you won't wear.  The Q mails expensive jewelry in the same type of packaging as their inexpensive jewely.  They just sent me a gold necklace and bracelet (2 purchases, not a set) in plastic baggies and one box.  I may return them, but not because of the packaging. 

Trusted Contributor

The packaging is a disappointment for sure.  I wonder if they really realize what they are selling here.  Presentation is half of the story.  Have the ring appraised immediately to settle your mind about it.

Honored Contributor

It's beautiful.

I don't know where you are doing your comparison shopping but you are paying for the JR name.   I think you can do better for about half the price, but I'm no expert.

I am an amateur rock collector, so I'm always looking, price matching, buying, etc.   And for me, the bigger the better. Color is important, too.   I don't care about "believable" or not.   If it makes me happy, that's all that matters.

I bought a clearance jewelry item about a year ago.   Didn't like it but wasn't worth the hassle to return because of the price, shipping etc.     Not the same in your case.

Send it back.    

Respected Contributor

My hard and fast rule re everything ordered is if I have ANY doubt whatsoever I return it.

If you don’t love it return it.

Esteemed Contributor

The packaging is not the issue.  Try to put that aside.

I do hear where you are coming from.  That ring is a piece of “investment jewelry,” and you should be absolutely in love with it.  Maybe a trip to a jewelry store to try on rings with different stones may help you decide.  I am sure you will make a decision you’ll be happy with.  

Honored Contributor

Lovely!  I have two morganite rings but not fine jewelry like that.  I'm shocked by the shoddy packaging!  If I bought it, I would have been offended by it.  When you buy fine jewelry from ShopLc, you get a gorgeous high end cherry wood box.  I even got one of those wood boxes when I bought a champagne diamond in gold over silver that was just $300.  That's the same type of pouch they would have sent a $30 pair of earrings out in.  A $2500 ring deserved better.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

It's beautiful.

I don't know where you are doing your comparison shopping but you are paying for the JR name.   I think you can do better for about half the price, but I'm no expert.

I am an amateur rock collector, so I'm always looking, price matching, buying, etc.   And for me, the bigger the better. Color is important, too.   I don't care about "believable" or not.   If it makes me happy, that's all that matters.

I bought a clearance jewelry item about a year ago.   Didn't like it but wasn't worth the hassle to return because of the price, shipping etc.     Not the same in your case.

Send it back.    

Ripka used inferior diamonds in the ring.  I have rarely been impressed with her jewelry.  Her "name" is not anything that one should pay extra money for.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

Okay, my two-cents worth:  for that price the packaging should be immaculate and it should be well presented.

It looks like someone had it and broke the JR box, then returned it or someone just threw it in whatever box was available in the warehouse.  At the very least I'd contact CS and tell them I wanted a new box to house the ring.  (Whatever happened to putting expensive rings in a proper ring box?)

I have quite a lot of JR from the "old days" and the packaging was excellent.

And, if you don't love it (and you already know in your heart whether you do or don't), it should be sent back.  And I'd mark it defective because of the poor packaging.  It should be in "As Is".

And completely O/T - I haven't watched a JR show in quite awhile and I wouldn't have recognized her, except for her voice.  What a change!  (And that's all I'm going to say about that!)

you're suggesting the op should send a ring back as defective, because of the packaging???  okey dokie

Respected Contributor

I don't know how much you paid for it but you don't seem thrilled with it.  If it was me I would send it back.  THEN I would go to a few jewelers and consider purchasing a stone that you love and have a setting MADE for it.  I have a few rings. but the two I werar the most are the two I had made.  They are special.  I hope you find something sepcal too.