Honored Contributor

I agree, you aren't going to get anything in a pawn shop. I'd put it up on ebay. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

Do you have any Consignment Shops nearby ? 

Valued Contributor
Pawnshops and Craig's list no. Consignment shops take a fifty percent cut. eBay is your best bet.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I agree eBay is the best bet to get a decent price. You might look around for a local company that will list your items on eBay for you, for a price. They are pros at knowing the ins and outs of eBay listings and dealing with buyers.

Occasional Contributor

I know people who have had success with all of these options.  For me personally, I have been selling on ebay (same situation - lots of QVC and HSN purchases) as I would not be comfortable meeting people one-on-one for this type of transaction.

I've sold everything from gold and gemstone fine jewelry to Joan Rivers and Kenneth Jay Lane costume jewelry.

I also like knowing that someone who bids/buys a piece is going to wear it and love it and possibly pass it along at some point as well.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Ebay ... and always post the item with a starting price that is the lowest you deem acceptable, in case it sells with only one bid.    

If you ship the better pieces (or any groupings) using the Priority Mail Small Flat Rate box, not only does it give you free tracking but you can get these shipping boxes free at the PO.     HTH

Also, if you don't wish to sell it as an auction on eBay you can research completed auctions to find what the piece is selling for and list it as a Buy It Now (no auction, the customer just buys it).  

I agree that the Priority Mail Small Flat Rate box is great, it gives you free insurance up to $50 but if it goes over $50 then you are responsible for the entire cost of insurance (insurance is actually for the Seller in case the item gets lost), you get a free box from the USPS and it gets there fast.  Good Luck!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I've sold on eBay on and off since 2002 and have been selling there for the last four years.  I rarely have problems.  I have a store front and have moved from auctions to Buy It Now (BINs) with Immediate Payment by Paypal.  If they can't pay immediately, they can't take my auction down.  This move has stopped the "players" from saying they'll buy something and then never pay.

I had a serious conflict with a buyer a couple of years ago, it went into a Dispute.  My auction and pictures were accurate, eBay looked over the correspondance and I won the dispute!!  It happens.  

All in all the customers I've had have been wonderful, fast payers, happy with the item and several have come back to buy again.

Regarding the mis-hallmarking of a 14k gold item.  The "kits" that are sold to identify the different metals can sometimes be wrong.  I hope the seller of this item took it to their own jeweler to have it tested.... sometimes buyers fudge a little and will test something on their own with older testing supplies and it doesn't test correctly......

Anyway, I've been very happy selling on eBay and have enjoyed 99.8% of the people I've met through my sales.... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*