Contributor

More Native MAerican and Artisan Jewelry!

I love Fritz Casuse's designs and would love to see more of them. Also, more Native American and Foreign Designers would be great.

Maybe, even in gold piece as well. Though, i love silver.

Occasional Contributor

Re: More Native MAerican and Artisan Jewelry!

Agreed. QVC used to carry far more of this type of thing than it does now. It's a shame. Most of the diamonique stuff is same old same old. We need to keep emphasizing American craftsmanship.

Honored Contributor

The popularity of Native American jewelry ebbs and flows.  Right now it's ebbing and not in favor.  However, there are many other sources than TV shopping channels, where you'll get better quality for less money.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The popularity of Native American jewelry ebbs and flows.  Right now it's ebbing and not in favor.  However, there are many other sources than TV shopping channels, where you'll get better quality for less money.

@Kachina624 I (& probably you, as well), do not follow trends. If I love certain pieces/styles of jewelry, they remain in daily rotation. Silver and turquoise jewelry is a classic. Travel to Sante Fe and have at it!

Respected Contributor

I love handmade Native American jewelry- one of a kind- 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some of the stuff claimed to be authentic Indian jewelry, rugs, and pottery is fake, or made in Asia.  On tv, and even by the Indians themselves.  There are lots of fakes sold as real in shops near the Palace of the Governors, and peddled under the portal in Santa Fe,  New Mex.   I’ve seen it myself.  Lots of unscrupulous peddlers of fake Indian jewelry, rugs and pottery.

And, if you buy this stuff, it goes without saying, get a certificate of authenticity and have an independent appraisal of it’s value.

http://krqe.com/2013/11/05/counterfeits-peddled-real-indian-art/

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/feds-arrested-for-selling-fake-american-indian-jewe...

Good luck and Caveat Emptor.

Esteemed Contributor

I have shopped in Santa Fe (and they have plenty of gorgeous stuff) but I buy at Skip Maisels (on Central in Albuquerque) and at Richardson's (in Gallup).  These are huge places that are "the real deal"and both have very knowledgeable sales personnel.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

New Mexico is very particular about who sells under the portal on the plaza at Sanra Fe.  I've never heard the authenticity of that jewelry questioned.  The Indians selling there are certified Native Americans and are licensed to be selling there.  As for buying in shops, the state attempts to regulate sellers and occasionally bust someone for selling fakes.  As with anything else, it's "buyer beware".

Honored Contributor

@patbz  Have you priced Alex Sanchez's work lately?  I'm glad I bought a lifetime supply several years ago because his prices have gone through the roof.  I see he has left the little no-name seller from whom I bought so much and now has his work at Garland's in Sedona.  I've been in there with my parents when they were buying rugs, and drooled all over their kachina dolls.  They carry only the best of the best.  My last purchase was a real coup...a thick, heavy, wide bracelet with turquoise for about $200.  Now a bracelet that size with similar detail is going for $600+.  I think my bracelet was a mistake by the seller.

Esteemed Contributor

I too went to Garlands (both stores) and their stuff is "drool worthy" and expensive.  They carry another of my favorites, Watson Honanie.  Haven't bought any Alex Sanchez lately; I think his large butterfly pendant with a coral spine is the last piece I purchased.  Still check him plus Honanie, Bennie Ration, Nelson Morgan daily on the Bay.  If you haven't been to Maisels on Central you should go (everything from tourist kwap to Chalmers Day working on site in their basement.