Super Contributor

Auntmame, I didn't see where you said what size diamond earrings you're looking for. I bought a pair of 1 ct Foreverone Moissanite studs from JTV. Now, they are set in silver. When I got them and compared them to my real diamond 1 ct studs, which are G color, VS clarity,  they looked exactly the same. I did send them back because of the setting. I like 4 prongs on studs and even though these earrings have 4 prongs it's like 2 prongs are attached at all 4 places. You would have to see them to know what I'm talking about. I did think about keeping them for the stones and having a piece of jewelry made out of them in real gold.

Check out JTV, Moissanite stud earrings. They carry different sizes. Oh, and they only cost $99 because they were having a sale when I bought them.

I was wondering why I've been seeing "man made" diamonds that are so costly. I didn't know they were growing them to have the same chemical properties as real diamonds but speeding up the process. I still don't know if I could spend thousands on any of these pieces even if they're supposed to be "real" diamonds. That's if I had the extra money. Lol!

Super Contributor

Auntmame,I just checked JTV to see if they had any of the 1 ct  Moissanite Fire studs left, and they do. They're on sale for $79.99. The item # is msf001 if you want to see them. The 2 ct studs are on sale for $279.22. Remember I said they're set in silver. You could have a jeweler set the stones in real gold if you wanted to. The stones are white and I couldn't find any inclusions in the pair I bought when I looped them. For this price at least you could give Moissanite a try to see if you like it, and I really think you will.

Honored Contributor

If it were me ,and I could afford it, I would go for top quality

My wedding set is so beautiful, people grab my hand and stare. It is set in white gold. I never regretted buying this. It is for a lifetime

Valued Contributor

Thank you so much for the item number! These are the same earrings I've been looking at on the Charles & Covard web site, but with 14K settings. 

I've been looking at earrings of 1/3 - 1/2 CTW because I want earrings that are very small. 

The JTV earrings are certainly tempting though they are larger than what I've been considering. The only drawback is that many of the reviewers complain that the settings are flimsy. Wonder if that's the case with the 14K ones on the C&C web site? 

Again, thank you. I'm going to consider giving these a try. 

Valued Contributor

@cherry wrote:

If it were me ,and I could afford it, I would go for top quality

My wedding set is so beautiful, people grab my hand and stare. It is set in white gold. I never regretted buying this. It is for a lifetime

That's wonderful! Did you select your set in a jewelry store or on the web? What "grade" is the moissanite? 

I have a Diamonique ring in white gold bought eons ago that I occasionally see people straining to get a better look at to see if it's real. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Moissanite grades

[ Edited ]

It has been some years since I bought it. It is the highest grade ,and it wasn't cheap, but ,it was far cheaper than a diamond  of equal size. I think it cost around $3000.  I got it from jewelry TV, if my memory is correct

It is a Charles and Colvard piece

Honored Contributor

They're offering a very pretty and substantial eternity band today.  But I think moissanite is too new to the Q to buy yet.  I want to hear/read the reviews.

I also want to hear from their "expert" about the grade and quality.

Honored Contributor

I watched the Moissanite show this morning. Didn’t blow me away or convince me it’s better than or equal to a diamond....even though less costly. If price is an issue, why not a CZ?

Thoughts?

Respected Contributor

I caught a bit of the QVC moissanite show early this morning.  Didn't hear much details about specific quality specifications,  just that it was 'top' quality and Q waited to bring in moissanite because early stone quality wasn't good enough!   Don't know if the product descriptions are more detailed.  And don't know how the quality of the moissanite on QVC compares to Charles & Covard or any other source.   Remember quality is a combination of the color of the stone,  the clarity,  and the precision with which it is cut.   All these factor into how beautiful the stone will look.  

They did however emphasize that the setting on QVC moissanite were 14K and substantial.   That's important and hard to compare settings from one place to another unless you see them in person.   Charles & Covard has a reputation for well made 14K settings.  In this day and age,  a lot of 14K settings on the market are very light weight.  It's somewhat less critical in earrings, which don't get much abuse,  compared to rings and bracelets.   However,  if you are paying $$$ for a man made moissanite stone,  you don't want the setting to be so thin that the stone falls out.  And cheap looking settings tend to make any piece of jewelry look fake.

Unrelated to any quality comparison,  I'd consider the ease of returning an item as a factor in buying online.  I don't know about the return policies of C&C,  or how much of a hassle it is or isn't to buy from (and return to) some of the other shopping channels.   But,  from many decades of experience with QVC,  it would be top of my list for an expensive purchase that might need to be returned.  Of course,  I'd follow the rules to the letter and be sure the return was fully insured (by me) and take no chances on shipping back using anything but UPS.   But given all that,  I wouldn't have any second thoughts if I was dealing with QVC  (or HSN).  I know ease of returns and associated return policies, etc. are only one factor in the decision.   But.... that is one of the reasons people are comfortable buying from QVC and trust them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Moissanite grades

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

I watched the Moissanite show this morning. Didn’t blow me away or convince me it’s better than or equal to a diamond....even though less costly. If price is an issue, why not a CZ?

Thoughts?

@Shanus

I bought my first set of Moissanite studs not too long ago and I was very impressed with how much more they sparkle than my best CZ studs in the same size. Moissanite is truly a superior diamond simulant.

I think it's one of those stones you really have to see in person to appreciate it's beauty.Woman Happy