Honored Contributor

Re: Moissanite...A weird thing happened

On 12/23/2014 Chrystaltree said:

Moissanite is a cheap synthetic stone, no different than cz. It cost a few pennies to make. But the marketing of Moissanite is nothing short of amazing. They have always done an amazing of job of pretending that it's a rare, precious stone and women fall for it. Absolutely amazing. I know a couple of women who wear it as their engagment rings, I've never heard that it turned yellow or discolored. However, the two stones I have seen with my own eyes, do have a slight yellowish "cast" to them. They are big stones; bright and sparkly but not white like a flawless diamond.

I completely disagree. CZ is synthetic. Moissanite is created -- which is entirely different from synthetic in the gemstone world -- and is a zillion times better than CZ. CZ is flat and glass-like...I can spot CZ a mile away. It lacks any pizzazz and shine. Moissanite has a great sparkle to it and is in no way flat or glass-like.

I have a a number of pieces of moissanite, some large stones and some small ones. None of them have any hint of yellow or green tint. They are all bright white, even the ones I got 15 years ago.

Respected Contributor

Moissanite is a cheap synthetic stone, no different than cz. It cost a few pennies to make. But the marketing of Moissanite is nothing short of amazing. They have always done an amazing of job of pretending that it's a rare, precious stone and women fall for it. Absolutely amazing. I know a couple of women who wear it as their engagment rings, I've never heard that it turned yellow or discolored. However, the two stones I have seen with my own eyes, do have a slight yellowish "cast" to them. They are big stones; bright and sparkly but not white like a flawless diamond.

I wear three small stone moissanite stack rings as everyday rings that have more sparkle, shine and whiteness than many of my other diamond jewelry. According to the research I've done, it is far from a CZ. If you buy loose moissanite it is much cheaper than buying a diamond yet it has about a 9.25 on the hardness scale. CZ's scratch easily. My rings look like the day I bought them and it has been over a year.

The reason why some women prefer to wear it for their engagement ring is because you can rest assured it is not a blood diamond. You get a very similar look without the guilt. I work in international affairs and it is for this and other similar reasons (and price) that many couples choose moissanite over a diamond for an engagement ring.

In addition, with moissanite you can more easily afford a 'flawless' stone compared to a diamond. The 'flawless' sizable diamond you are comparing it to is out of reach for most of us, including many not so rich celebrities.

~Live with Intention~
Super Contributor

On 12/23/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

I completely disagree. CZ is synthetic. Moissanite is created -- which is entirely different from synthetic in the gemstone world -- and is a zillion times better than CZ. CZ is flat and glass-like...I can spot CZ a mile away. It lacks any pizzazz and shine. Moissanite has a great sparkle to it and is in no way flat or glass-like.

I have a a number of pieces of moissanite, some large stones and some small ones. None of them have any hint of yellow or green tint. They are all bright white, even the ones I got 15 years ago.

I don't see any difference between synthetic and created. Stones are either "real" or they're man-made. Why is one kind of man-made better or worse than another?

As for whether moissanite is yellow or green, different people have different sensitivity to color. Many women like warmer diamonds, in the H-I-J range. They may not consider a less than arctic white stone to be "yellow", while someone who likes D-E diamonds probably won't enjoy the tint of moissanite.

Honored Contributor

On 12/24/2014 Clover29 said:
On 12/23/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

I don't see any difference between synthetic and created. Stones are either "real" or they're man-made. Why is one kind of man-made better or worse than another?

As for whether moissanite is yellow or green, different people have different sensitivity to color. Many women like warmer diamonds, in the H-I-J range. They may not consider a less than arctic white stone to be "yellow", while someone who likes D-E diamonds probably won't enjoy the tint of moissanite.

Created vs. synthetic is a gemstone industry and scientific matter.

Created is based using the same properties as the real stone and are made of materials found in nature, like rock, crystals, and other organic material. For example, there are created sapphires all over the place. ''

Synthetic is made to resemble a gemstone but never looks close to the real one. Synthetics try to imitate the color or look of natural gemstones. They are usually made of glass, CZ, and various other man-made materials. They may look similar but they have very different compositions and optical properties.

When you look at synthetic and created stones through a jeweler's loupe, you will see significant differences in properties, how the light goes through the stone, how light is reflected, sparkle, dye, color saturation/streaking/coatings, etc.

I've had my moissante examined by a well known independent jeweler. He said the color is the same as a colorless diamond and the quality is outstanding. He also confirmed that none have a yellow or green tint.

Super Contributor

Respected Contributor

All you have to do is lay one next to a diamond grading test set to see they are green/ yellow. The manufacturer says they are g/y.
Respected Contributor

The standard GIA diamond color grading scale is not designed to rate moissanite. Unlike diamonds, which range from colorless to brownish to fancy yellow, Charles & Colvard Created Moissanite® can have slight undertones from green to yellow to gray to teal.

Respected Contributor

I do buy moissanite and I do like it. I have the green/yellow version and a canary. I want to buy the forever brilliant next time.

Honored Contributor

I have a really pretty Moissenite ring I got when some shopping channel (Shop at Home?) went out of business. It's the highway overpass design with a large 1ct stone and some smaller stones set in a substantial white gold setting. The larger stone has a yellow cast to it. I've always assumed it wasn't the best quality Moissenite, although it's very pretty and sparkly.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 12/29/2014 esmeraldagooch said: All you have to do is lay one next to a diamond grading test set to see they are green/ yellow. The manufacturer says they are g/y.

Just fyi, Mine don't show any tint, even next to my best diamonds.