Valued Contributor

Missing Sterling Designers in person

IMO, since this is kinda a one-time special day, it would seem to me that the designers would make it a point to show up in person to present their jewelry, unless sick, of course.  While I like Judy, now presenting JR jewelry, I find it a slam that Judith Ripka herself is missing in action.  Also, I know Barbara Bixby was on late last evening and would not expect her to be on overnight hours, I sure think she could have been back on for this morning's show.  Yeah to Scott Grimes for being there this morning.  This will sway my purchasing for today on a limited budget.  I cannot purchase everything at these prices, but my money will go to JAI, not only for design, but because the designer is here in person!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Missing Sterling Designers in person

@grandma c wrote:

IMO, since this is kinda a one-time special day, it would seem to me that the designers would make it a point to show up in person to present their jewelry, unless sick, of course.  While I like Judy, now presenting JR jewelry, I find it a slam that Judith Ripka herself is missing in action.  Also, I know Barbara Bixby was on late last evening and would not expect her to be on overnight hours, I sure think she could have been back on for this morning's show.  Yeah to Scott Grimes for being there this morning.  This will sway my purchasing for today on a limited budget.  I cannot purchase everything at these prices, but my money will go to JAI, not only for design, but because the designer is here in person!

There is a definate trend away from this since Comcast sold QVC.  It has been an ongoing progression to a different business model.  In addition, since the new executive changes, well, there are some differences.

Super Contributor

I actually could not imagine a JAI show without Scott Grimes.  His stories add so much to the presentations.  I will probably only buy JAI today also.  I love the quality of the pieces as well as the style.  Right now, the only jewelry I wear is gold and JAI.

Honored Contributor

I am sure there are thousands who buy Barbara and Judith and others because of the designers showing up on air.  I like both the women.  I even watch them occasionally, but their jewelry does not "speak" to me.  I'm not buying even though I like them.

When I was buying lots of Honora, I bought from Joel, I bought from Ralph, and I bought when neither was around.  The jewelry was the lure - not the designer.

I'm not saying personalities don't sell because I know they do -  just that once I've seen the "name" behind a brand, I don't need to see the person over and over to know whether I will buy the brand or not. 

Valued Contributor

Interesting observation because I just mentioned the same to my hubby.
It's a big designer jewelry day and for the designers to be absent from their time slots could be looked upon as a reflection of their lack of commitment toward their work and their clientele, in my opinion.  It's possible that the designers who were not there in the early hours will be later on in the day.   But for the QVC customers who shop in the off hours, it would be nice to see the designers during those staggered times as well.  Not everyone does their shopping at the same times for different reasons.   I used to be in sales as a designer and I understand the importance of the connection between artist and client.  In my experience, the presence of the designer displays a personal commitment, respect and sincerity,  not only toward the customer but for their designs as well.  Of course, as mentioned, a valid reason for sending a representative in their place is understandable.  Kudos to the designers who made the effort.
~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Esteemed Contributor

I tend to buy when the Designer is on showing her work. I don't know why, but I do...

Honored Contributor

Does Judith Ripka even design her jewelry line anymore????

Respected Contributor

For me the designer is the draw to watch the show. Hearing them talk about their jewelry and inspiration is why I watch a designer show. Otherwise I can look at their jewelry online. For some time now I have felt that Judith Ripka is gradually fading into retirement.
Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

Does Judith Ripka even design her jewelry line anymore????

Didn't Judith sell the company?   She seems to have lost interest and it shows.   She seems now to be little more than a sales rep contractually obligated to make X number of appearances. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

Two words SUPER BOWL!!!! No one can be asked to show up!!! Woman Surprised