Honored Contributor

Why did QVC always offered fresh water pearls?  Other places offer salt water pearls from oysters.  Although more expensive, salt water pearls are not hugely more expensive.  I'm sure they offered Akoya pearls.  But they are small and you rarely see them anymore.  The only places I ever saw salt water pearls was at Gem Shopping.  

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Why did QVC always offered fresh water pearls?  Other places offer salt water pearls from oysters.  Although more expensive, salt water pearls are not hugely more expensive.  I'm sure they offered Akoya pearls.  But they are small and you rarely see them anymore.  The only places I ever saw salt water pearls was at Gem Shopping.  

@songbird 

Honestly, I don't know the difference between salt water and fresh water pearls.  Is there a visual difference?  Why would it matter to you?  

I have a pearl bracelet I wear several times a week, and love pearls, so I am truly interested in why it would matter.

Honored Contributor

Re: Missing Honora Pearls

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44  I think there is a difference.  Fresh water pearls have nacre.  Even more nacre is injected in to them. Saltwater pearls have a nucleus, then nacre forming around the nucleus.  As a result, the thickness of the nacre is an attribute that applies only to saltwater pearls.  Those pearls are much more durable then freshwater pearls.  Saltwater pearls have more of a brilliance and shine.  Even the shape of the pearls are a factor in saltwater pearl prices. The bigger and rounder, the better.  Saltwater pearls are more rare. Only about half of oysters make seed pearls.  And only 20% of those seed pearls make jewelry quality pearls. The value of pearl is determined by the size, luster (and the lack of blemish)  The three main types of saltwater pearls are Tahitian, Akoya and South Sea pearls.  There is also a type of golden pearls that are only found around the Philappines. And like certain gems, they increase in value.

Understanding Different Types of Pearls | Diamond Buzz

Honored Contributor

Re: Missing Honora Pearls

[ Edited ]

I love the look pearls give.  Feels so chic.  Honestly the dressiest there is. 

I think they are so pretty, that if I liked them, I don't care where they came from.  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal  That was the point.  I do.  I would only wear saltwater pearls.  At least I would have some value toward my purchase.  Because of the higher luster and it's  roundness, it's a heck of lot more attractive pearl.  I only own one pearl.  An 18K gold ring with a big saltwater pearl (like a solitaire) and a spray of little diamonds surrounding it.  It's a south sea type and white with gorgeous luster..  I'm the same with gems.  I only like a specific kind of gem.  The rest, I'm indifferent to.  This was from my mother's last trip to Italy.