Honored Contributor

Wow!

Now I don't feel so stupid!

A few weeks ago, I went to town with my mother and took my dog to a rather long vet appointment.

Interacted with the staff and doctor for quite some time

Got home and realized when I had gotten dressed in the dark that morning, I had put on two different earrings, and quite a bit different.

No one said anything (like they would!). 

I hope my fashion forward self didn't intimidate them! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I always liked the moon and star idea with earrings.  Now I think I'll have to buy some.

Some thing just go together like peanut butter and jelly!!  LOL

Honored Contributor

I think it's a fun idea but the earrings have to coordinate ...so not just any old two earrings will work.

Honored Contributor

I have 1 hole in right ear lobe and 3 in the left.  I do and have woren mismatched earrings.  I use my one lost earrings to mismatch two of the holes in my left ear lobe, sometimes all 3.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Was browsing HSN's new jewelry section.  I came across a pair of "mismatched" earrings in the Carol Brodie "Rarities" line.

I have heard of this concept before, and obviously, to each her own.  Personally, there is no way I would do it!  These are the same size and approximate style.  But, there are differences in them.  I would not spend $200 not to match!

Anyone interested?

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003. Rarely when I dress up (blk. dress slacks & silk blouse is my limit), I will wear a mixed pr. of pearl drop earrings.

I purchased white golds earrings many years ago & couldn’t decide between the white pearl drop or the dark grey pearl. In an extravagant move, I purchased both.

Sometimes I’ll wear one in white and the other dark grey. Anyone who comments, “Hey, Shanus did you know you have on 2 different earrings?”.... My answer is, “Yes I do and I have another pair just like them at home”.

Honored Contributor

I love the look.

(But it can't be just any two earrings; they have to make a statement.)

Respected Contributor

When I first started watching CVN in the late '80s, Colleen Lopez wore a Half moon earring in one ear and a star in the other.  I liked the look.  Glad it is in style once again. I think I still have a mismatched set .  Have to hunt for them.

Esteemed Contributor

I do like the initial ones from James Avery. They sell them individually so you can buy them identical. 

Respected Contributor

As they say,  what comes around, goes around.  The style of 2 different earrings isn't new.  The black pearl/white pearl earring version was worn by the Duchess of Windsor, I think, years ago.  Very dramatic and fashion forward look.  She was known for beautiful jewelry.

Over the years we have seen other iterations of the 2 different earrings look.... star and moon or other designs that work together,  different geometric versions of similar earrings,  differnt color of the same earring, or different numbers of earrings in each ear,  just to name a few versions.

A few years ago the trend was mismatched socks.  And we have seen a lot of longer tops hanging out of shorter jackets or sweaters,  and tops and skirts with uneven bottoms.

So it doesn't surprise me at all if companies are promoting a 'new' style in unmatched earrings.   Fashion is always seeking a new look to entice us to buy something.   I would be comfortable with a 'coordinated' mismatched earring look.... same design in different color metals, or different textures,  or designs that go together...  but I don't think a totally random pairing would work for me.

Respected Contributor

I like a mis-match but similar in design like this.

Image result for pair of earrings one moon one sun