Honored Contributor

Minor complaint: Tell us when items are rhodium plated

Like the TSV bangle.  I watched that presentation and thought I could order it the next day at TSV price as I was busy.  So I  missed out, especially the mosaic, but I think they should start mentioning any plating process.  Personally I have had good luck with all vendors from any network that use this with the exception of the Epiphany process.  So give us a chance to make an educated choice.

Honored Contributor

Re: Minor complaint: Tell us when items are rhodium plated

I have the high polished one (I love it!)  and I didn't know it was rhodium plated till after I got it.  I don't mind.  More time before it tarnishes.  I'm a gold/platinum person and don't usually like anything plated because it eventually comes off.  But with silver, I don't mind.  So far I love everything I got from the Silver day. I have the other bangle coming, the Mosaic one.  Can't wait.  I'm very happy with the high polish one.  It's stays shut, and it's solid.

Honored Contributor

I think it was songbirds post that cued me to this in the first place.

Honored Contributor

My jeweler does rhodium plating. He does more white gold wedding rings more than anything else. But he'll plate most anything with rhodium. Some people get their yellow gold plated with white rhodium just to change it from yellow to white. I had a ruby tennis bracelet, set in sterling, rhodium plated. Now it doesn't tarnish and it's very shiny.

Trusted Contributor

Had I known that many items were rhodium plated, I'd have  shopped those items at least.  My main beef with silver is the tarnish issue; rhodium plating removes that from consideration entirely. 

Dang, QVC, speak up!🙁

Honored Contributor

@depglass 

Sterling silver is a white metal and does not need rhodium plating to acquire its color. However, it tends to tarnish over time. To prevent this, rhodium plating silver jewelry will ensure that the piece is highly lustrous and remains tarnish-free for a long time.  (google).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Per silver tarnishing.  If you wear a lot of silver each day, it really won't tarnish.  The rubbing of the metal against your skin keeps it looking white.  I have a Sterling silver ring I wear on my forefinger everyday 24/7, wet and dry.  It has never tarnished and I have had it for 7 years.  (My husband gave it to me)  But obviously if you have a lot of silver, you can't really do that. So eventually it will tarnish.  But if you don't mind cleaning it, it's not a big deal.  The plating does help.  And it takes a long time before it wears off.  Years and years.

Ultra Fine silver is great.  It stays in your silver keeper and it retains it's shine and you don't have to wear it everyday. Almost all my silver is the Ultra Fine.  But it's not quite as mallable as Sterling silver.  Some of the designs are limited. I can really see the contrast when I wear a Ultra Fine neckalce and the pendent is Sterlng. So far only one company in Thailand makes it.  They have a patent on it apparently.   I don't see it made anywhere else.  Or if it does, they don't retain the name Ultra Fine.

Honored Contributor

Years ago I had one Ultrafine Silver bracelet that tarnished badly.  It was worse than any other silver piece I had.  Never figured out what was wrong with it, it had that little tulip tab so I assumed it was authentic.  I think I sold it to US Goldbuyers with other broken silver when I sent in a small gold shipment.  

Honored Contributor

I only purchase silver if it is rhodium over silver.  Or en vogue pieces on Shophq  were silver is mixed with palladium.  Never tarnish and I like that.