Honored Contributor

Colleen Lopez says her boxes are good for preventing tarnish for something like 75 years.  I imagine they're all about the same.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@mia 2    You're very welcome.  I'm glad the information has been helpful.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think Michael Dawkins used inferior silver.  I've worn sterling every day of my adult life with never the slightest reaction.  The first day I wore a new Dawkins necklace, I ended up with an angry, red, irritated ring around my neck.  That may be why the OPs pieces tarnished in a silver safekeeper.

It's not the silver @Kachina624 .  Some people have bad reactions to the metal.  It has nothing to do with the quality of the silver.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset   I beg your pardon, but when you've worn and still wear silver every single day, have a ton of it, and suddenly one piece causes a break-out, I have to assume something was wrong with THAT PIECE.  Its not rocket science.

Respected Contributor

Well I believe in your experience and expertise @Kachina624. That other poster is just being contradictory.

Honored Contributor

@banned again   @gertrudecloset    Good quality sterling normally contains silver and copper.  Sometimes, in lesser quality, they use nickel in the alloy.  Apparently its pretty rare because I've never before encountered this.  I do have a sensitivity to nickel, having had a reaction once to a Nolan Miller "mystery metal" piece.  The presence of nickel will also hasten tarnishing.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm allergic to nickel--in a big way--and MD's jewelry doesn't bother me. Who knows, perhaps some pieces were made in different factories with different alloy mixes.

My allergy is so bad that my orthopedic surgeon had to order "nickel-free" knee replacements, or I would be in a world of hurt.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gertrudecloset   I beg your pardon, but when you've worn and still wear silver every single day, have a ton of it, and suddenly one piece causes a break-out, I have to assume something was wrong with THAT PIECE.  Its not rocket science.

No it's not rocket science @Kachina624 .  However, we all know that one can develop an allergy to things we never had an allergy to in the past.  It's just how that goes.  Years you enjoy something then one day you can no longer partake, because you suddenly become allergic to it.  I don't automatically conclude it's something wrong with the item I've come in contact with.  

Anyone will tell you that you can be come allergic to anything at any given time in your life, EVEN when you've used it before.  That's science, but it's got nothing to do with rockets.  It's true as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

@banned again wrote:

Well I believe in your experience and expertise @Kachina624. That other poster is just being contradictory.

@banned again I'm a logical thinker.  Not a contradictory one.  You can develop an allergy to your pet and you could have had him for years.  You don't have to be ignorant of facts, you can learn.

Esteemed Contributor

Some of you all are too old to be this ill advised.

https://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/can-you-develop-allergies

When allergies typically develop

Most people remember first getting allergy symptoms at a young age — about 1 in 5 kids have some kind of allergy or asthma.

Many people outgrow their allergies by their 20s and 30s, as they become tolerant to their allergens, especially food allergens such as milk, eggs, and grains.

But it’s possible to develop an allergy at any point in your life. You may even become allergic to something that you had no allergy to before.

It isn’t clear why some allergies develop in adulthood, especially by one’s 20s or 30s.

Let’s get into how and why you can develop an allergy later in life, how you can treat a new allergy, and whether you can expect a new allergy or an existing one to go away with time.