Valued Contributor

Michael Dawkins jewelry

[ Edited ]

I just looked at a bunch  of my old Michael Dawkins jewelry in my silver safekeeper and it is all very tarnished--a yellowish cast to it also.  Maybe there were other elements added to his silver.  Anyone else notice this in theirs over the last few years?Smiley Surprised

All my Jai pieces are fine and bright silver!

Honored Contributor

I have a few pieces and they all look fine.

I have to start wearing more of my jewelry again.  Since we started wearing masks I have skipped wearing much of my earrings, etc.   Can't believe I got out of the habit of wearing jewelry!  

Honored Contributor

@mia 2    A good quality polishing cloth (Sunshine Cloth is the best) will bring you silver back to its original shine.  The yellow is just tarnish and will also come right off.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think Michael Dawkins used inferior silver.  I've worn sterling every day of my adult life with never the slightest reaction.  The first day I wore a new Dawkins necklace, I ended up with an angry, red, irritated ring around my neck.  That may be why the OPs pieces tarnished in a silver safekeeper.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I don't have any pieces of Michael's jewelry and am sad to hear there are problems with the metal.   I thought his pieces were very pretty and considered purchasing several. 

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

I have several Michael Dawkins pieces and have not noticed any strange tarnishing. All are kept in Silver Safe Keepers made by Lori Greiner that I bought from QVC many years ago. Being so old, I do wonder when these Safe Keepers are going to give up the ghost. That will be a tragic day. LOL!  

Respected Contributor

I have several lovely Dawkins pieces, keep them in a dresser drawer, and they tarnish/darken very slightly and a wipe with a polishing cloth is all they need to be bright as new.  I have sensitive skin, they never bothered me.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Michael Dawkins jewelry

[ Edited ]

I have several of his pieces, some from 10-12 years ago.

Some rings I wear off and on throughout the year.

The pearl/silver pieces, bracelet, necklace, earrings not as often.

Never have had a tarnishing issue. They all live in my Lori Grenier jewelry armoire/silver safe keeping, which is about 17 years old...still keeping things untarnished.

If anything, maybe when I take out the pieces I wear only occasionally...might need a little buff with a polishing cloth, same as other brands occasionally do.

Valued Contributor

Re: Michael Dawkins jewelry

[ Edited ]

Kachina624~~Thank  you for responding.  Thank you for the tips on removing the tarnish.  I do have one of those Jai polishing cloths that I haven't used yet.  It's good to know I can bring them back to a shine.  I love the pieces from Dawkins and still wear them once in a while but never understood why they tarnished  with that yellow color.  Happy to know it will come off.  

You often answer the posters' many questions and you have often given me very helpful suggestions for my questions.  I appreciate that you take the time to help.  Thank you for that!  

I also think in regard to tarnishing, it may have to do with the part of the country one lives in.  Certain areas have a lot of humidity and other areas very dry.  Now that I was thinking about it, a few of my B. Bixby  and Or Paz pieces have needed polishing with a good cloth over the years.  They didn't have that yellowish color on them that the Dawkins pieces do.  Have a great day Kachina624 .  

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your feedback.  So interesting to hear from all.  It's good to know Dawkins jewelry will come back to bright silver when I polish it.  I love his pieces.  I have a Lori Grenier silver safekeeper and several Colleen Lopez boxes from HSN over the years. 

pupwhipped~~I agree with you.  I hope these boxes last a LONG time!