Contributor

Re: Michael Dawkins bracelet on ebay

I bought a David Yurman sterling bracelet with gold accents for about $350 last year. It is a discontinued item that originally sold for $1200. I love it and wear it all the time. My daughter purchased a Michele watch for about a third of its retain value. Great bargains if you time it right. With each purchase we had no competing bids.

Super Contributor

I've also bought some great things. I got a Michele stainless watch bracelet for one third the retail price. It was brand new and perfect. Who knows where they get this stuff.

If you want to bid on something, wait until the very end. Otherwise you are just driving the price up. I don't know why anyone bids early.

Contributor

On 1/10/2015 Penellope said:

I've also bought some great things. I got a Michele stainless watch bracelet for one third the retail price. It was brand new and perfect. Who knows where they get this stuff.

If you want to bid on something, wait until the very end. Otherwise you are just driving the price up. I don't know why anyone bids early.

I agree. That is what I meant by timing the bid/purchase right. Auctions that end mid week seem to end lower with fewer bids.

Frequent Contributor

On 1/9/2015 KatCat1 said:

I actually never thought to look on ebay but today was the first day that I have ever bid on anything. I purchased a Michael D. silver bracelet (links that are different sizes) and saved close to $30 with my bid. I was surprised when my bid was accepted and I am a happy. Have you ever purchased jewelry on ebay? What was your experience? BTW, the bracelet is new.

I would be embarrassed to tell you how much Michael Dawkins I have bought on ebay. ( I know I have at least 20 of his bracelets--mostly the older, heavier ones). Like others have said, read carefully and ask a lot of questions. I sometimes ask for more pics and I always ask if items are tarnished. I know I have a silver safekeeper and I wouldn't buy/or sell anything looks disgustingly tarnished. I buy many new items and preowned in excellent condition. My best deals have been the thick bracelets he did (4strand usually) with the thick silver clasp. My first item was a smokey quartz one, QVC had been selling it for about 350. I got mine for 120.00. I tend to buy his rings on qvc, sometimes at full price or clearance--as its hard to wait for a specific size to show up on ebay. Luckily I have found some older styles on ebay in my size that came out before I was a fan. I love ebay! Have fun--its addicting!

Valued Contributor

This is so funny, I just bought 6 of those bracelets on EBay this last week.  I always wanted those bracelets, but couldn't afford them at that time, and now the Q only have a few. So I bought 2 silver ones and 2 black spinel, and one big starry night and one small starry night, they are fabulous, and I got them in 3 days. I'm very happy buying them on ebay, and anything else I want.  Love it!

Esteemed Contributor

I love buying jewelry on eBay. My last two purchases were 48 gram Robert Tenorio cuff bracelet for $50 and a 30 inch 7.4 gram 14k box chain for $175. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love buying on EBay, including RLM, Dawkins, Ripka, Rivers and Tenorio among many other brands.  I use a sniping service, put in my bid 5-7 days ahead (bid isn't made until last minute and I can withdraw or adjust it until nearly end of auction).  I don't always win and I am looking for great buys.  I also sometimes contact seller and make an offer (even on "buy it now") if an item is relisted (may have been overpriced to begin with).

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I love buying on EBay, including RLM, Dawkins, Ripka, Rivers and Tenorio among many other brands.  I use a sniping service, put in my bid 5-7 days ahead (bid isn't made until last minute and I can withdraw or adjust it until nearly end of auction).  I don't always win and I am looking for great buys.  I also sometimes contact seller and make an offer (even on "buy it now") if an item is relisted (may have been overpriced to begin with).

I don't know what a sniping service is but I send email on "buy it now" items too. The chain I purchased was listed at buy it now $250, I offered $150, she countered at $175 and I scored, gold 30 inches, 7.4 grams. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

This was the shortest transaction I have ever experienced. We agree that she would not send the box and then I asked for the velvet bag and she got upset that I was not playing fair. OMG! a little velvet bag. It was an older piece and then I start thinking she is wearing this jewelry and saves the box to sell more worn jewelry. Why would a velvet bag mean that much to her? Plus they are not real velvet. Who is going to know if you wore the jewelry if you were careful with it? No one. We both agreed to cancel, actually she suggested it. I did get a refund. What a bizaar experience.

Oh my gost, how weird.  I sometimes don't have the original box, but I sure do have nice black generic boxes with padding inside.  I also have some little drawstring bags that I put the item into......  I'm glad she offered to cancel as she IS being bizaar.  Most customers who buy a Designer item want everything that originally went with it.... if the seller doesn't have all the boxes, bags, authenticity cards, the seller needs to state this in their listing because it disappoints the buyer.  I think you got off lucky.  

Another item will come along and next time make sure the seller is a Top Rated Seller wih really high feedback.  Think of some questions to ask the seller (do they have the box, etc?) and see how quickly you get an answer and see how much time and thought went into it.  You can tell quite a lot about a seller by how they answer question.

When I buy something on eBay and ask a question and don't get an answer.... I don't buy....

Good luck and have fun..... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

My sniping service is "kidnapper.com", which I recommend.