Trusted Contributor

Re: Michael Dawkins Concentrating on Home Goods?

I'd be sad if Michael Dawkins stops making jewelry. I'll be sadder if I never see him on QVC again... he's so much fun to watch! I remember his first appearance, he was so nervous and not very talkative. Now he jokes and really does a good job.

I love how Lisa is dressed, so casual... love the white tennis shoes on both of them. They would make a gorgeous couple. I would LOVE to run into Michael Dawkins on the street!!

Valued Contributor

Has anyone heard of his company repairing his jewelry. He said on air on his last visit that they do repair their jewelry. However, after much searching, I cannot find an address or phone# to contact about repairs. His work is singular and if a stone is missing, a regular jeweler probably could not replace.

Honored Contributor

I like and own several pieces of his jewerly....nice photo of Lisa and Michael but those tennies she is wearing ruins the photo in my opinion.

Frequent Contributor

I love his jewelry, He cant stop making it! I have had a bracelet repaired--there used to be an email address on his website.

I did notice he had no TSV's this year, and he usually has 2. I still buy his items on ebay but want him on QVC too!

Valued Contributor

Every time I hear of a designer getting into home goods, I think of pillows, lots and lots of pillows, and throws. That seems to be the starting point for them all. When did having fifteen pillows on your bed or sofa become the thing to do? They look good, but when it's time to go to bed or sit on the sofa, you end up tossing them someplace else so you can get comfortable. I enjoy Michael Dawkins jewelry, but it seems at times not to be well made. Someday, the Q won't even sell jewelry anymore.

Valued Contributor

On 7/22/2014 momtodogs said:

I like and own several pieces of his jewerly....nice photo of Lisa and Michael but those tennies she is wearing ruins the photo in my opinion.

They are wearing matching outfits. Like they were on a date, maybe?

Respected Contributor

On 7/22/2014 sunshine45 said:

he hasnt burned out in my book.....i still love his pieces and purchase them when i can and when the mood strikes me.

recently posted by lisa robertson:

Wandering around the upper east side and stumbled on Michael Dawkins Home Store. I knew he did beautiful furnishings and decor, but did not realize he had a store in Manhattan. And he happened to be there on a Saturday morning! What are the chances?! #ontheroad

Great picture. Lisa looks wonderful and Michael, well, looks a little stiff. However, he is always so nice on QVC.

Respected Contributor

On 10/19/2014 tdog said:
On 7/22/2014 momtodogs said:

They are wearing matching outfits. Like they were on a date, maybe?

Michael is a gay man.

Honored Contributor

I really, really like MD designs. I have quite a lot of them. However.... (here it comes) he uses a lot of jeweler's metal in his items and quite a lot are not solid sterling silver even though a lot of customers believe they are because they are so heavy, especially some of his rings. Some of his items are just not made all that well (which surprised me given the prices). Again, I love the edgy quality of his designs and even knowing what I've come to find out have still bought his items.

For example, I purchased his watch. I LOVE it... and after wearing it non stop since buying it the interior part of the bracelet started going away. Not flaking, just started showing whatever metal was underneath. I only noticed it when my wrist started turning black. It is advertised as Stainless Steel. I can wear Stanless Steel no problem, but I can't wear most alloys. So what did they do? Did they make the bracelet out of an alloy and coated it with stainless steel? That's what I'm thinking as the places that were exposed look like a base metal. But the item is advertised on QVC as a stainless steel bracelet.

I've had linked bracelets that have a kind of curly cue wrap link become unwrapped and fall apart, needing repair.

The jeweler I took these items to for repair was also uncomfortable as to how they were made and the overall materials..... so...

Like I said, I like his designs so much that I've been willing to repair, put nail polish on the underside of my favorite watch (like I did as a kid with dime store jewelry so it didn't affect my skin) just to continue wearing it. But I won't buy any more and maybe that's what's been happening??

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

"...he uses a lot of jeweler's metal in his items and quite a lot are not solid sterling silver"

By that I mean yes, he uses Sterling Silver 925 and by law can advertise his items as such, but also uses a jeweler's metal as part of the equation (which is not illegal), much like using resin and 14k. Remember when companies used a resin or silicone core and did not notify their customers of this? I believe this is the same type of combination. Perhaps the ratio is higher than its 14k counterpart, and not a "shell"...

I have one particular ring that is huge and very heavy. The top portion looks like it is solid sterling, thick and massive however when you look at where you'd expect some kind of gallery to be, under that portion, there is nothing but a wall of silver. I paid under $99 for this ring. I believe it is weighted with jeweler's metal. Well worth what I paid mind you, and I love it, but it is not all 925 sterling silver, it just can't be. It weighs well into 64 grams!!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*