Trusted Contributor

I used to sell diamonds for a large jewelry chain.   All the "diamond associates" had to train & get a certificate  with the Diamond Council of America.  We were trained to never make an assumption about a "diamond" that came in for a cleaning, repair or trade.  You never know someone's circumstance financially or any pieces they may have inherited or recently acquired.  We had a diamond tester that we had to use consistently on each & every piece that came in.  Sometimes the client would get offended we were testing his/her piece but you would be surprised how many pieces did not test as diamond no matter how "realistic" they might have looked.  I remember quite vividly the anger & outrage those situations would cause.

Super Contributor

I want to thank all of you for helping me understand what these man made diamonds are. I've read that it takes only a few months to create one in the lab, maybe 3 months. I guess I wasn't thinking about the cost of making them.

I gave Mossanite a try and I have to say, I love it. My husband and I wanted a certain ring and we found the exact style in Mossanite. We both love my ring.

I'm a huge diamond lover. I'll admit that. We always try to buy second hand and conflict free. Buying conflict free can be a little more costly but it's worth it to us. I've heard that they can't control all diamonds though so some conflict diamonds just might slip by and a customer ends up with what they did not want, a conflict diamond.

I know all about DeBeers and how they control diamonds. I also understand that diamonds aren't rare. As I've gotten older I'm buying less diamonds and going for gemstones instead. There are so many different and beautiful gemstones we can all choose from.

I think some of the jewelry stores are starting to carry these man made diamonds. Hopefully who ever said the cost of them will go down in the future is right. I'm sorry but I'm not remembering your user name.

Thank all of you so much again for all of the knowledge.I'm sorry but I didn't even think about putting any of the item numbers in my post so you could look at the pieces. 

Occasional Contributor

I too loved the diamond jewelry from QVC.

Honored Contributor

Re: Man made diamonds.

[ Edited ]

Today on evine... they will be showing a new brand of lab grown diamonds set in 14K called Ethique-Diamonds With a Conscience. There are 26 pieces posted right now if you want to take a look. Looks like Howard Freund is the rep and president of the brand. He was a former rep for other jewelry lines, Emma Skye (HSN) and a line from now-gone ShopatHome network.

Valued Contributor

Interesting. They sure are pretty. 

Valued Contributor

So being that it's lab grown, would this be considered a real diamond or imitation? Hand cultered pearls are considered real, no? Just curious what others think about lab grown diamonds. They just mentioned Dr Beers is jumping on this band wagon.

Honored Contributor

@Tsukiko wrote:

So being that it's lab grown, would this be considered a real diamond or imitation? Hand cultered pearls are considered real, no? Just curious what others think about lab grown diamonds. They just mentioned Dr Beers is jumping on this band wagon.

Lab grown diamonds are 100% diamond and will test as genuine diamonds...no difference.

Honored Contributor

Fabulous quality  grade E to F and VS to SI clarity.

Honored Contributor

Re: Man made diamonds.

[ Edited ]

JTV is selling lab-grown diamonds now. All set in 14K. They have pink ones, too! Premiering tonight.