Honored Contributor

Re: Made $2500 Today!🤑🤑

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@iTalia wrote:

@SeaMaiden, that's so exciting to make money off of pieces we no longer are wearing. May I ask how many pieces did you sell to receive that amount?

I've done the same locally within the past month or so but can't say I got nearly that much money in return. Like you, I went to a very upscale shop here that has great reviews. Perhaps my pieces were not as heavy and also I went when gold was about $1287. 

I brought a very heavy substantial sterling silver rolo bracelet and was surprised I only got $15 for it! Thought for sure it would have been lots more. My gold pieces I sold I got about $125 per piece. Lightweight necklaces but still, they were real 14K through and through. I'm assuming yours were too? 

@iTalia  Good Morning iTalia!  I had several 20 plus gram pieces( bracelets and necklaces  .  It was the majority of the haul.. the silver jewelry and coins  amounted to only about $200 of the total.   Gold was at about $3100  Silver about $17.   I had a few diamond rings in 14K that I did not sell as I felt the price offered was too low. 

When I sold my haul three years ago I walked out with a $15,000 check.  I sold LOTS of heavy heavy gold pieces I had bought when gold was at $200, and I sold  a nice one caret diamond necklace that I never wore.    

That is what upsets me SO MUCH I bought these necklaces, bracelets and rings and never wore them. I think that is what keeps me from selling the jewelry. I know what I paid for the stuff and then to see what they are willing to give me for the stuff.

But thanks - for making $2500. It will give me the boost I needed.

Respected Contributor

@iTalia wrote:

@SeaMaiden, that's so exciting to make money off of pieces we no longer are wearing. May I ask how many pieces did you sell to receive that amount?

I've done the same locally within the past month or so but can't say I got nearly that much money in return. Like you, I went to a very upscale shop here that has great reviews. Perhaps my pieces were not as heavy and also I went when gold was about $1287. 

I brought a very heavy substantial sterling silver rolo bracelet and was surprised I only got $15 for it! Thought for sure it would have been lots more. My gold pieces I sold I got about $125 per piece. Lightweight necklaces but still, they were real 14K through and through. I'm assuming yours were too? 

Same happened to me a while ago. The store owner even said to me that she would feel bad to give me such low price and I should try eBay. Needless to say that I took everything home. I am not parting with even unwanted items for nothing. 

Honored Contributor

I just don't wear gold and sold mine several years ago when it was popular to do so.  I took it to a place in NYC (I can't remember the name of it) that bought it right then & paid me for it.  I bought some nice custom blinds which is something that gives me more pleasure than the jewelry that I never wore.

I do have a daughter to pass my things down to but she's just not interested in a lot of my jewelry...maybe she'll change her mind at some point.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden, NICE!

I found a very heavy, solid link men's 14k bracelet after the hurricane last week.  I could have sold it for a nice chunk of change!!!  But, I had to look for the owner, and found him.  It felt good to return the piece, but I was kind of hoping for a windfall!

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@SeaMaiden, NICE!

I found a very heavy, solid link men's 14k bracelet after the hurricane last week.  I could have sold it for a nice chunk of change!!!  But, I had to look for the owner, and found him.  It felt good to return the piece, but I was kind of hoping for a windfall!

@ItsME  That was sweet of you.  How did you find him?

Honored Contributor

When I got rid of some excess gold jewelry a few years ago, the good thing is that I probably made money. So many of my items were purchased in the 1990's and was made of heavy gold compared to the junk now offered.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden ... I live in a gated community.  When the power came back, I asked the property manager to send out an email to the community saying that a piece of jewelry had been found, and asking the owner to describe what they lost.  She was so overwhelmed with coordinating the clean up (a lot of downed and broken trees, pool clean up, etc) that I had to remind her a couple days later. 

The owner didn't think he has lost it here.  He called places he'd been, with no success, of course, and was stunned that he got it back.

Super Contributor

I agree that you should go to an upscale reputable place. Never a little pawn shop because they will rip you off.

I have a friend in the jewelry business and sold a few pieces to him. One piece had a small diamond in it. He asked if I wanted him to pop it out so I could keep it or sell it ebay. I did sell it on ebay. So, jewelers will take the diamonds or other stones out for you if you want them too.

Congratulations to all of you who have made money from buying low and selling now while gold is so high.

I did the same thing but I should have waited longer. There was no way to know that gold would get this high.

P.S. Before you sell any of your pieces check to see what gold and silver prices are that day. I'm not sure what percentage second hand pieces should go for but you can always ask who ever you're selling to.

Respected Contributor

I always sell jewelry on Ebay as I get closer to Christmas.  I start about November 1.  I usually sell it all.