Regular Contributor

Love the NEW "Live from Italy" shows

IMHO the " LIVE from Italy" shows of yester-year were great,  but this new and very different approach is a welcome change-up.  I have enjoyed the spectacular Mark Zunino gowns, the perfect hair, the candlelight and the fabulous villas. However, since the focus was not much more than that, we didn't see Italy.  Antonella looks fabulous seated in the sidewalk cafe and the models appearing to be customers or sightseers who just happen to be modelling the jewelry is GENIOUS!   I believe this fresh, more casual setting is so Antoinella and even the jewelry has a much more wearable feel. To David and the Q...Mille Grazie!!!

Honored Contributor

I'm so happy you mentioned the models.  This year is the first time that I've seen models who look relaxed and happy versus miserable and constipated.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Love the NEW "Live from Italy" shows

Unfortunately, the constant, at least over the past few years, has been the almost exclusive focus on bronze, crystals and what, overall, is costume jewelry...  For me, showing this stuff from Italy and laughingly touting it as 'fine' Italian jewelry is akin to attempting to put layer after layer of cheap lipstick on that tired old sow...  I'm not interested. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

I agree!  Love the more casual models - who look and act like normal people rather than manequins - they actually SMILE!  Love Antonella in the cafe setting and am really enjoying the clips from her trip in the area. I was curious how these shows would be without Lisa.  It's nice to see they went an entirely different route - Antonella is able to make these shows her OWN!

Regular Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Unfortunately, the constant, at least over the past few years, has been the almost exclusive focus on bronze, crystals and what, overall, is costume jewelry...  For me, showing this stuff from Italy and laughingly touting it as 'fine' Italian jewelry is akin to attempting to put layer after layer of cheap lipstick on that tired old sow...  I'm not interested. 

How much of the really expensive pieces do you think they sell?  Certainly not enough to cover the costs of these shows on location. QVC is in the business to sell, not just display.  Of course they're going to focus on the price points that more people can afford.  Its not all that hard to understand is it?  You want to view really expensive jewelry?  Head to the islands and browse the jewelry shops there. Of course you won't be buying anything - nor do I - but its fun to look. Sometimes it's also fun to BUY, so I for one enjoy the things at the price points they offer.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

Hi @stevieb...  I agree with you.  I have relatives in Italy and I was there last September.  The jewelry sold there is breathtaking.  Plus the gold standard in Italy is 18k gold.  You cannot purchase 14k gold in Italy.  Also, the garbage QVC is selling as "fresh from the fair" is considered to be cheap costume jewelry.   QVC just keeps selling the same old, same old resin filled, gold clad, gold plated, bronzo at high prices.

Honored Contributor

OK, I'm lost -- I saw a few minutes last night and felt it was very much like past shows - except of course we have a lovely new host.

Sad to say, for me, I saw not one item tempted me to buy and for the 15 or so minutes I gave the show, I felt the screen was crowded with too many items discussed at once and Antonella was talking 76 miles an hour.

I fell asleep and woke up to Alberti  - signed off and went to read a bit.  AT 3:15 am!

Maybe my problemis that I'm really not interested in buying jewelry right now, but I'm also not willing to feel assaulted with the busy screen and fast chatter.  I'm not even willing to look again today to see if a different hour feels different.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I felt the screen was crowded with too many items discussed at once and Antonella was talking 76 miles an hour.

LOL Millie - I mentioned in another post that the first hour between 11 and midnight seemed jam packed with items and Antonella was speed talking.  I don't know if I'm used to them only showing 6 items an hour or what but I found myself getting short of breath on her behalf and getting anxious myself (lol).  I turned the TV off after 20 minutes.  So far, I'm watching Nancy and it seems calmer.

Antonella was also probably excited about being her first remote as the primary host.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@picco wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

How much of the really expensive pieces do you think they sell?  Certainly not enough to cover the costs of these shows on location. QVC is in the business to sell, not just display.  Of course they're going to focus on the price points that more people can afford.  Its not all that hard to understand is it?  You want to view really expensive jewelry?  Head to the islands and browse the jewelry shops there. Of course you won't be buying anything - nor do I - but its fun to look. Sometimes it's also fun to BUY, so I for one enjoy the things at the price points they offer.

I have no idea how many of the really expensive pieces they sell, and I don't think it was suggested that they ONLY show the good stuff.  There's a whole world of jewerly out there and a little more variety than hour after hour of colors of bronze jewelry festooned with crystals and so on would be welcome...  A few stunning, pricey pieces would be well worth showing as would more silver and, if necessary 10k gold, but looking on line, they've essentially shown the same twenty or so pieces of low end jewelry repeatedly all day...  I don't mind the occasional piece of costume jewelry but personally, I'd rather have one good piece than a handful of this stuff...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

Thanks to Antonella's version of "Live from Italy", I have thoroughly enjoyed the trip!

Had some fun, spent some money.

Yes, I made a purchase, which by September I will have forgotten about. 

Mini gripe......I do think that the 25 hours had a somewhat limited inventory. I'm nursing a recently cracked rib and therefore I have seen most of the shows. The same items (with only a few exceptions), have been featured over and over.  

Maybe, it wouldn't have been as repetitious without the meds! 

Grazie e buona notte!