Valued Contributor

I love pearls...tahitian pearls to be sure...they are lovely.    

Respected Contributor

I like pearls too.  I have a "tin cup" style necklace and earrings.  I like the traditional white pearls and the black ones.  I don't care for the colors or big pearls.  Don't like the TSV at all.

Trusted Contributor

This is a great week-end for us all to wear our pearls!

Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

I'll sure be wearing pearls for the Bush family "enforcer" this weekend. Remember she said at Wellesley...."And who knows? Somewhere out in this audience may even be someone who will one day follow in my footsteps, and preside over the White House as the President’s spouse................ I wish HIM well!"   Well said! Gettin' my pearls out now.

Honored Contributor

@Newgate

Did you see the new cat pieces?Cat Happy

It's all in the ears. This sweet ring showcases a glowing cultured freshwater pearl with satin finished cat ears for a fabulous, feline feel.

Meow and wow! This cool cat necklace showcases a lustrous white cultured freshwater pearl with satin finished ears. From Honora.

Honored Contributor

Sorry but I would never wear fresh water pearls.  I want perfectly round salt water pearls from real oysters in the ocean.  They would have no blemishes and the clasp would have to be 18K.  They could be South Seas pearls, Tahitian pearls or  Golden Pearls.

I will never understand the attraction of fresh water pearls. 

Honored Contributor

When I was a little girl my Grandfather - who was a jewelry designer - would bring me long strands of mishaped or ringed pearls to play with. That is how worthless these pearls are ! I don't even look at Honora shows anymore because the pearls are a ripoff. I used to like when they sold the various color strands because they were fun to wear casually.

Honored Contributor

I guess pearl beauty is in the eye of the beholder because there are many different tastes and attitudes.

What made Mrs. Bush's pearls so beautiful was that she wore them and was not ashamed to wear fake ones or laugh about using them to cover up her wrinkles!

Her attitude and graciousness made them more beautiful than some of the most expensive pearls that others might wear.   It speaks volumes when you see how many women proudly wore theirs in tribute to a remarkable person.

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Sorry but I would never wear fresh water pearls.  I want perfectly round salt water pearls from real oysters in the ocean.  They would have no blemishes and the clasp would have to be 18K.  They could be South Seas pearls, Tahitian pearls or  Golden Pearls.

I will never understand the attraction of fresh water pearls. 

Songbird, Freshwater pearls have evolved and high qualtiy freshwaters are round.

They are now bead nuckeating them so they are just as round as akoya, tahitians and white south sea.  Even prior to bead nucleating FWCP you could buy 8 way roller freshwaters.  They are considered earring grade or freshadama.  These are 11mm 8way rollers.aaalovemetallics.jpg

Honored Contributor

I love pearls on others, but not on me.  (Unless they're funky and odd shaped and mixed with a lot of sterling silver.)