Frequent Contributor

Re: Let's DISCUSS: Judith Ripka October 2014 visit--what are you getting/interested in?...:)

Peach, I ordered the watch in basic black....I'm a little on the conservative side, LOL. As for my baking, I have a few items that are always requested.....white chocolate and dried cranberry biscotti, cream cheese pound cake , and York Peppermint Patty brownies (made from scratch). I have an extensive cookbook collection and like to read cookbooks like novels. For Christmas I'll be baking miniature gingerbread men (1" or so tall) more biscotti and probably some sugar cookies. The sugar cookie dough is in the freezer, and I need to start making biscotti dough to freeze as well, at least a dozen loaves! As for the GG necklace, I'll wait......when in doubt, don't.
Super Contributor

Re: Let's DISCUSS: Judith Ripka October 2014 visit--what are you getting/interested in?...:)

Peach, I ordered the sterling interchangeable pearl necklace. Wow what a deal! Spent the day getting ready for the fall festival at church.

Valued Contributor

On 10/11/2014 vaccinia said:

I haven't purchased any Judith Ripka in years, but I'm seriously considering the watch with the quilted band. I want to replace a JR watch I had from 2007 -- probably one of the first she offered -- that was stolen when my house was burglarized last year.

I like this one because it's simple and the price is reasonable, but still on the fence. Anyone else getting it?

Vaccinia, thank you for your post. That quilted band watch is wonderful! Which color? Did you decide to take the plunge?

Very, very sorry to hear that you suffered a burglary. We had some police brutality in 2013 and still haven't gotten over it. It is terrible to have your space illegally violated.

Which older JR watch did you have? The oval face with heart and black leather band or square face all sterling one? Another suggestion is to check Over There (major auction site) and see if you can replace it. It might be possible to find one with no or little wear since there are so many collectors out there. This might work for other pieces you lost as well and currently there are more than 5,300 JR listings so odds are very high in finding replacements.

Take care~Peach

Valued Contributor

On 10/11/2014 ghb said: Peach, I ordered the watch in basic black....I'm a little on the conservative side, LOL. As for my baking, I have a few items that are always requested.....white chocolate and dried cranberry biscotti, cream cheese pound cake , and York Peppermint Patty brownies (made from scratch). I have an extensive cookbook collection and like to read cookbooks like novels. For Christmas I'll be baking miniature gingerbread men (1" or so tall) more biscotti and probably some sugar cookies. The sugar cookie dough is in the freezer, and I need to start making biscotti dough to freeze as well, at least a dozen loaves! As for the GG necklace, I'll wait......when in doubt, don't.

GHB, I'm a basic black girl, too! When I first moved to LA eleven years ago, my Aunt who had been here for 40+ years yelled at me to stop wearing so much black. At first I tried to oblige her, but just feel more comfortable in the classics!

YUM, YUM, YUM! I just like hearing about what you make! I have a shelf of cookbooks, too, some signed (like long ago when Martha Stewart was on the Q) but am hoping to move soon and have a normal kitchen to play in. You are inspirational. Have you seen the movie "Chef" or "The Hundred-foot Journey" still in theaters?

And your GG Pearl necklace...probably will be a better price within six weeks or so. ~Peach

Valued Contributor

On 10/11/2014 Saint Louis Gal said: Hi Lucky Peach! It has been a long time since I have been on the forum. I have the house to myself and I am tuned in watching JR. I took the plunge on the GG ring OTO. Looking forward to the presentation of those pieces! Hope you doing well. I was sorry to read about your new pups health issues. Poor babies. How have you been? We were out West this past summer and enjoyed beautiful California! We worked in some college visits also but did not make it the LA area so we didn't get to visit Cal Tech, one of the schools on my daughter's list. I know she would get an outstanding education there but just not sure about the surrounding area.I know you are in that general vicinity so please let me know your thoughts. Back to JR, boy this is a great show! I may have to get the GG enhancer as well but I am trying to be good! Smiley Happy

Well, well Saint Louis, it is a real treat to hear from you again!! Congrats on the GG OTO ring. You've always been so good at editing the best JR pieces into your collection. Thanks for writing about our Yorkies' illnesses. Mostly now, it is down to one dog who is ill, nicknamed "Pootie" who is very small and lost weight, down to three pounds. He won't eat because of his cough so I have to feed him by hand and pray it starts sticking to him. I am very tired because of the late-night stuff with the dogs but hanging in there as usual. I'm considering trying LDN next for my immune issues. Have you checked it out? Just search under the initials. How is your health? Did you ever try that treatment? I know you were worried. RE: Caltech, actually, that's quite an OK area to be in, some very nice places to live, if she would go off-campus. Pasadena has a small bad area like every town but Caltech is definitely not one of them, in fact it is quite pricey and high class. DH got his doctorate from Caltech and is often on campus there working with professors on research. And you know JPL is in Pasadena/La Canada-Flintridge. Pasadena is a fun town with lots to do from $2 films to you name it, any type of restaurant you can think of, museums, shopping. We go out there several times a month. The only thing I don't like there is the parking situation - it is brutal. If we had a million bucks, we'd move there in a heartbeat. Caltech is always rated from #1 school to number 4 or 5. I know your daughter loves science. Which other California schools is she interested in?

So, did you cave on the GG OTO enhancer? This time round, I got the interchangeable status link earring sets in both sterling and clad.

Thanks for posting and hope you are doing OK. Miss you and take care~Peach

Valued Contributor

On 10/11/2014 Sherbear1 said:

Peach, I ordered the sterling interchangeable pearl necklace. Wow what a deal! Spent the day getting ready for the fall festival at church.

Hi Sherbear! I agree that it is a best deal and so much fun to wear! Hope your church fall festival is a big success. Thanks for taking the time to post. ~Peach

Super Contributor

I just ordered the turquoise OTO ring, and went on wait list for the matching cuff which was not included in the OTO. I also snagged a second strand of the pearl wardrobe on a super duper clearance price of $189...It will be a gift for SIL for Christmas.

Honored Contributor

Gals, I have a question .....

I saw a piece that interested me, but I'm not clear on what "berge" is .... I tried to get a definition online, but most answers that came up are travel-related.

What is "berge" ?? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Respected Contributor

On 10/12/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Gals, I have a question .....

I saw a piece that interested me, but I'm not clear on what "berge" is .... I tried to get a definition online, but most answers that came up are travel-related.

What is "berge" ?? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

It is the very fine texturing, sometimes left in a pure linear design, sometimes sculpted, sometimes braided, that Judith favors in her designs.

J273920 - this ring has linear texturing that is fashioned into a plait-like design.

J296585 - twisted berge - the linear texturing is made combined into ridged rows. See, also, J144040 - "the cuff" - one of Judith's most popular berge pieces. The texturing is lines run at a diagonal within raised patterns, almost like fine shrimp ribs.

J296611 - the texturing has a single row effect, like a rope.

J267354 - the texturing is fashioned into a true two-sided braid.

Honored Contributor

Thank you very much, Favorite Son !! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}