Respected Contributor

Re: LR has Pretty Gemstone Earrings

@BalletBabe - all good points. When I tunein to her and she is busy w/ that iPad saying hi to everybody.its annoying phoniness. And then Katie always has to come in to video and rescue her w/ something that isn't working..once again silliness and phoniness. I saw a guy on facebook told her her bracelets were beautiful and meanwhile the bracelets are nestled against her cleavage in the green top. Like the guy was really looking at her bracelets! Lol.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember a couple of years after the genius Mindy Grossman took over HSN seeing all new sets behind the hosts presenting products.  They were different for each product line and absolutely stunning.  They created a beautiful presence and an identity for the line and made everything they were selling look more special and expensive.  It really was like a series of little boutiques.  I don't watch much HSN anymore, so I can't point out any particular set that might be relevant, but I think Lisa should have something like that for her chats/podcasts/sales presentations.  Being in a more enclosed space might also help her with the sound.

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Moonchild 

A lot of things people post on these forums make me laugh - and SMH, and smile, and gag. It depends. Life is funny like that.

I believe you could be right, but who knows.  She is talking about selling clothes, Christmas decorations, etc.   All from her Ipad????  and facebook?????  Goofy if you ask me.  I truely believe she is going to try to be her own shopping channel.   I doubt that would work for her. The shopping channels are struggling from what I understand.  Plus, I haven't liked anything she has shown so far.   You can only sell from your living room and ipad so long.  I like others watched a few of her video's out of curiosity, but I cannot stand to watch them anymore.   Too fake and the Romper Room saying hello to each and everyone is goofy.  For someone that had stalking issues, she constantly has something falling out.  There are also freaky guys on there. You just don't do that when you have been stalked.  I know as I have been stalked also.

Oh, *I* totally agree with you, trust me - but some do not ;-)

My response was meant for those who feel the need to comment on those who comment 😜

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

This morning, I played a bit of Lisa's presentation of her jewelry.  I think she needs to work on branding her line.  In order to do this, she must be more disciplined.  If she's going to do these live video chats, including sales presentations, she needs to think more about the set around her.  What does it say about her and her fledgling company?  How does it add to her brand identity?  Does it motivate people to buy and come back or is it disorganized and haphazard?  It seems to me that it's the latter at the moment, as charming as Lisa can be and as nice as some of her jewelry clearly is.

I'm no expert, but I don't see her creating an image, a brand for her product and even her web site.  That is crucial.  All successful brands and companies create an image and a coherent vision in the consumer's mind about what they will find on sale and at what price points.  Going to her web site and products page, listening to her podcasts, and buying from her should be an experience that the consumer seeks out. 

I don't know whether any of this makes sense to anyone else but me, but I think Lisa has to put some thought into the elements of branding going forward.  She also should be less haphazard and casual in her video presentations even if she's just in her own home.  Maybe just lounging on the sofa and chatting isn't the best way to grow her business.

@Ms X, at this point I can only think it's deliberate, though a rather bizarre marketing ploy and a limiting one. She knows the psyche of her tribe. She knows they are her merchandise $$ base - her *only* merchandise $$ base at this time. So, she is catering to the tribe and its group psyche.

The women who want so very much to believe she is, deep down, "just one of the girls", and is privately casual, goofy, silly, BFF-y, makes mistakes, has screw-ups, ISN'T PERFECT, etc. - just like them. She needs the tribe members to identify with her.

I believe that her "ineptitude" with presentations, marketing, branding, etc. is calculated. Although I think money is a factor for her now, with the connections she has and the money she started out with, she *could* have "done it right" from the beginning. There's no NEED for the popcorn chats on the couch in the living room, the audio issues, etc. - it's her choice to do it that way. And the fact that she is continuing to do it that way long after the launch of the jewelry, makes me think she has no great plans for change. Her marketing style and branding is apparently "your glamorous BFF Lisa from the couch in her LR."

It doesn't appear at this time as if she has aspirations beyond that - which is a bit puzzling, but maybe the jewelry is her mortgage payment or her plane tickets every month & she's mostly got the rest covered.

Respected Contributor

That's an interesting analysis, @Moonchilde.  I agree with you about her tribe being her first customer base and so wanting to mention them to keep them involved.  I'm sure she absolutely loves her tribe as well, since they've stuck with her for nearly two years now.  Maybe she should have a little tribe time for 15 minutes before the formal broadcast so that she can separate that from the formal podcast, interview, or sales presentation.  Then when she posts the video later she can leave that out.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lisa had planned on a larger scale launch of her product line but then declined or been unable to obtain offers from investors.  When she was still seeing her personal trainer, I remember her posting on her page about the two of them meeting with investors and that she liked having him there because he had her interests in mind.  So, somehow, she didn't end up taking on investors.  It wouldn't surprise me if this was Lisa's decision because she didn't like the terms.  She's an old pro when it comes to this selling game after 20 years at QVC and would be able to assess any arrangements realistically.  Since she left QVC for lifestyle reasons, she probably wants to have control over that.

At any rate, it's not too late for Lisa to do a few things differently.  She needs a set like the ones they had at HSN in that they created a beautiful image for the product line.  She also needs a brand name and logo (although her vlogazine has an LR logo already).  That would help create an image (I'm repeating myself here).  It could form the basis of some Internet advertising if she could afford it.

Anyway, I'd like to see Lisa succeed at this.  Things are really looking up for her jewelry page, IMO, because she even has a few things that I like, and I don't wear jewelry.  She could always take this to a channel like HSN in the future, too, or get some kind of marketing arrangement with various web sites.  This is the start for her, and there are many possibilities.  It seems to me that the next step is some branding, a better set, and a more disciplined presentation.  I really have no background in this, so I might be wrong about everything as well.  I do like to shop, though, so I approach it as a consumer.

Super Contributor

@Moonchilde   I totally agree. LR is a master manipulator. She should write a book instead of trying to be a one person shopping channel. Her technique of calling out names and returning emails is by design. Her "tribe" can't get enough of it. Just look at her visitor posts on her FB page. I did but only could read a few. Too weird. I know others will think I am obsessed to follow her and maybe I am a bit but I can't get over what a dumb career move she made. 

Honored Contributor

@Ms X, I definitely agree that Lisa *could* do so much more in the Professionalism Dept - yet isn't.

I also agree that she most likely doesn't want investors in the traditional sense who would have any say over how she does things.  I have the feeling she wants to retain complete control and not have to answer to anyone about anything, business-wise. I can understand that. But I think it will limit her success and her potential for growth.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have no idea how much money LR has, but I would think you need millions to retire at 50 -- especially to maintain a lifestyle where you travel extensively, buy clothes, jewelry, cars, health insurance, etc.  And isn't the average lifespan for women over 80?  Anyway, I would think working is not just an option unless she planned to be fairly frugal.  

Duh . . . ETA that I haven't loved anything I've seen posted on the boards so far, including the earrings.  

Super Contributor

Creativity was never LR's strong point.  At QVC the marketing, direction, layout, display were all taken care of.  All LR had to do was put a spin on how amazing things were.  Granted she might have come up with the idea for GILI, but again, she was dumbing down fashions that were designed elsewhere.  Now that she's in charge, she's playing it safe, keeping it within the confines of the tribe which she brought with her from QVC and not from the outside.  Everything she's done, sold or presented has been borrowed from somewhere -- tying fancy bows, GILI, grilling veggies, her Christmas trees and Christmas knick-knacks, and now "her" jewelry line.  All she had to do is presented in a way that made her an authority on it and make it a necessity.  That's her strong point, to manipulate one into thinking it's original and/or better than anything because she says so. 

Breaking out of that arena is not easy when the average customer is more savvy, requires more variety and innovation in product, and is unbiased by adoration.  It so much easier to keep her tribe close with a quaint setting from her home, shmoozing with friends, daily "good mornings," and having the instant pretend closeness and directness with all her "friends" that social media instigates in the minds that partake. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seriously??? Who takes pictures every morning?  I mean every single morning?  She has too much time on her hands.  Too many pictures say I love me!!!!  ME ME ME

The one that killed me was the one on the lounge chair, and she was resting up for the chat.  Funny, I never found chatting that tiring?  It is all a bit much.  I am not even going to look anymore.  I didn't realize that liking her page made you a member of the tribe?