Respected Contributor

Re: LOST WEDDING SET....Part 2

@millieshops wrote:

Losing jewelry of personal importance is painful.  I'm so sorry you can't find your rings.

Like you, I'm at a stage in my life that I don't plan to buy much new jewelry, especially expensive pieces.  Of all the items thieves stole this summer, what I really care about are the pieces that had personal attachments  I used to marvel when hearing storm or fire victims tell reporters that what mattered was life, not all their things and wonder how they thought later on.  I understand better now -  lots of what I lost was valuable in the money sense. but nearly every sentimental piece came from someone no longer alive.  That loss tears at my inner being.

If I were to decide to replace my diamond pieces -  I'd go look at my local jewelry shops.  I know I've seen faux stones in some settings that I didn't even know were faux just by eyesight.  I would buy good settings for whatever I'd choose.  Whatever your decision, I wish you contentment with it and more years of your long marriage as you wear it.

@millieshops :  I can hear the pain in your voice over losing those "heirloom" pieces.  I share your same sentiments you expressed so eloquently.  Thank you so much.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@Hoovermom 

I’m sad They haven’t shown up.

Because I travel out of the country, and like too wear my rings I had a duplicate ‘travel’ set made with moissanite. 

Honestly, I got them out of place once and couldn’t tell which was which.

Then I remembered my wedding set is 18k and The Moissanite set is in 14k.

I purchased the stones from Charles & Colvard, BrilliantEarth also has a nice selection.  Both at (.) com.

Will keep hoping your rings appear.

@Drythe :  I have perused the sites you mentioned looking for wedding sets in 14KY DH is not sold as of yet, so I am just "window shopping".   Which site do you like the best?  Why?  I see that a Charles Winston (presumably the Winston family) on JTV.  They don't look like what I want.  Thanks for your help.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom 

I purchased from Charles & Covard because I wanted lose stones.  My wedding set is a custom design and I wanted a duplicate in Moissanite.  Fortunately the wonderful person who helped us design them Was willing to helped us again.

At that time BrilliantEarth did not offer lose stones, or at least I was unaware of it.  However, several people I know have pieces from BrilliantEarth that I would be Thrilled to own - beautiful!

Happy Shopping.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom,

I have checked in every day hoping you found your rings in a pants pocket, or a shoe, or the last handbag you carried.   Am sorry to hear they are still missing.   

I am OCD with many things, but especially my jewelry.   I only like to wear earrings, and in the last month I lost the diamond out of one pair, and a brand new gemstone earring.  While swiffering, I actually found the tiny diamond on the laminate floor, and found the earring in the washer!   

After all that stress, my husband is after me to buy something really nice for our 45th anniversary this month.   He wants me to buy a ring;  I hate the feel of rings on my fingers, never wear the ones I have, and have no interest in buying a new one.  Even tho I don’t like wearing jewelry, it stresses me out for a piece to be missing.   

Sincerely hoping your rings turn up very soon.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

@Hoovermom,

I have checked in every day hoping you found your rings in a pants pocket, or a shoe, or the last handbag you carried.   Am sorry to hear they are still missing.   

I am OCD with many things, but especially my jewelry.   I only like to wear earrings, and in the last month I lost the diamond out of one pair, and a brand new gemstone earring.  While swiffering, I actually found the tiny diamond on the laminate floor, and found the earring in the washer!   

After all that stress, my husband is after me to buy something really nice for our 45th anniversary this month.   He wants me to buy a ring;  I hate the feel of rings on my fingers, never wear the ones I have, and have no interest in buying a new one.  Even tho I don’t like wearing jewelry, it stresses me out for a piece to be missing.   

Sincerely hoping your rings turn up very soon.

@RedTop :  Congratulations on that milestone 45th  anniversary.   Thank you for checking this thread to see if I had found my rings, sadly no.  Like I have said before, I am the one who always finds other people's stuff but can't find mine now.  I can understand the OCD because I have to take all of my jewelry off each night.  Just what I do LOL.  You and your DH have been through a lot lately, and I am sure he just wants you to know through a piece of jewelry how much he loves and appreciates all you do.  What about a necklace instead of rings?  Tell him how you feel (I am sure he already knows) and what you would like to do.  I'm sure you will reach some satisfactory solution. 

I am having this conversation with my DH.   I just don't want to invest into a replacement for what I had.  It's just too much money at this stage in our lives (44 years of marriage).  I want to go the route of a "faux", they aren't cheap either but 1/3 of what I would have to pay for replacement.  He wants me to have the "real" thing.  Anyway, best wishes to you and your DH.   BTW I cannot believe your organizational skills in your kitchen, cooking and grocery shopping.  My hat's off to you.  Have a great day.  Please let all of us know what you decide to get for your gift this month.

Trusted Contributor

If I lost my wedding ring at this stage of life, I think I would choose a simple band as a replacement.  I like the look of small channel set diamond bands. 

I think diamonique set in real gold looks very nice.  I wouldn't buy plated gold for a ring that you would wear everyday.  You could order something and wear it for awhile to see what you think.  Remember Mary Beth Rowe wore diamonique for many years after losing her real diamond.  

My DS recently replaced his wife's damaged wedding set for their 10th anniversary.  He spent thousands of dollars on a beautiful ring.  He didn't have much money as a college student when he bought her first ring.  But at her young age she has many, many years ahead of her to wear it.  

Respected Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

If I lost my wedding ring at this stage of life, I think I would choose a simple band as a replacement.  I like the look of small channel set diamond bands. 

I think diamonique set in real gold looks very nice.  I wouldn't buy plated gold for a ring that you would wear everyday.  You could order something and wear it for awhile to see what you think.  Remember Mary Beth Rowe wore diamonique for many years after losing her real diamond.  

My DS recently replaced his wife's damaged wedding set for their 10th anniversary.  He spent thousands of dollars on a beautiful ring.  He didn't have much money as a college student when he bought her first ring.  But at her young age she has many, many years ahead of her to wear it.  

@sandy53 :  What a nice thing your DS did for his wife and upgraded her ring.  I bet she was a happy wife.  Like I have said at this stage of our lives, it doesn't make any sense to me to invest in these diamonds again.  DH wants me to have a "set", so I am sure we will go that route, but trying to get him to look at those Moisannites recommended on this thread.  They are gorgeous, just haven't seen them in person.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom,

Yes, you are right, 2019 has been a very difficult year for us, and I know my husband wants me to find something special.   As long as he is with me on that day, I will be happy and content, far beyond what any piece of jewelry can do for me.   

My husband is well aware I have an eye for expensive jewelry, but don’t actually want it.  A month after we were married, we walked into a jewelry store, just to pass some time.   I was staring into the case of diamond rings, and the store owner asked if I saw anything I liked.   Out of at least 200 rings in that display, I pointed to one ring.  That ring was THE most expensive piece of jewelry in that store, at $20,000!    

I only wear small earrings, because they don’t distract me; I put them in, feel they are secure, and don’t give them another thought until I take them out.   My recent earring incidents happened because I didn’t take them out before bed.   Necklaces, bracelets, and rings annoy me because I feel them against my skin.  

I feel sure my jewelry purchase will be diamond earrings; something to pass to my daughters.   

Contributor

You are absolutely right about pawnshops. My now deceased cousin (loser he was) was living with my family for free while trying to "get back on his feet." My mom was in the bathroom and he came knocking like it was an emergency that he use the facilities. Mom left her engagement ring in a robe hanging in the bathroom (and this was on her birthday no less), came out so that he could go in. Later on when she put the robe back on, her ring was gone. I knew even at a young age (18) that he was no good and so I started checking out the pawnshops. Well, what do ya know? About 8 months later, I found her ring. There was no doubt that it was her ring, because it was engraved. This was so long ago that when I called the police, they said that there was nothing they could do. Not even tell me who pawned it. I had no choice but to actually buy the ring back at a whopping cost for an 18 year old. I got it back for mom because she was so heartbroken over it and my father had been so proud of the fact that he was able to even get her a diamond ring after they had been married for 20 years at that point with only a thin gold band. I wrapped it up and gave it to her and I don't remember to this day ever seeing my mom so happy, so it was worth every single dollar. She has Alzheimers now, I am her sole caregiver and it is truly a memory that I cherish. Times have changed and now it wouldn't go that way. The police would intervene and get me that ring ring and prosecute the thief. Made me leary of even relatives. 

Didn't know there was a new thread posting. Dragged my post over from the last thread. Hoovermom, I am sooo sorry that you haven't found your beloved rings YET. I believe that they will appear when you least expect it. Thankfully, you have them insured. I completely understand about not wanting to spend a lot of money on diamonds. Been there, done that. May I suggest a forever one moissanite stone. So real looking, especially when set in gold or my favorite, platinum. In fact, last time I checked gold was actually selling for more than platinum per gram. Never thought I'd see that day. The website that I like is moissanite.co  I purchased a ring from what used to be called ValueVision many years ago and while I liked the mounting, I wasn't pleased with the stone as it had a green tinge to it and I returned it. The stones have gotten so much better now and for me at least, it is hard to distinguish the diamond from the moissanite.  Whatever you end up with, definitely your husband is a keeper!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Way way long ago I dropped 3 rings and a pair of diamond studs into my jar of jewelry cleaner, took them out, cleaned them good w/that little brush, to get them dried good laid them on a piece of paper towel, folded the paper towel over them. Awhile later wiping off the counter top with simple green and paper towels and scooped up the piece of paper towel that had the jewelry folded in it and tossed it in the garbage along with the rest.

It was about an hour later I thought "hey where's my rings, what did I do with them?"....Then it hit me. I Retrieved them from the trash.