Respected Contributor

Re: LOST WEDDING SET....Part 2

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Hoovermom   So sorry for your loss, I know it's a precious sentiment that can't be replaced.  Given that you don't want to spend the major investment, you might want to look at moissanite,  check out Charles & Colvard.  You can buy the top grade approximately 2-3K and it will look like you purchased top quality diamonds.  

@phoenixbrd :  I wish I had my rings back and didn't file the insurance claim.  I am going to check out your suggestion (and @Drythe ) for a replacement set.  Thanks so much.

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

My heart goes out to you!! 

@NicksmomESQ:  Thank you.....I am still so sad....nothing can replace those rings.....memories.  

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Jeepers, I was just wondering about you today, whether you had found them or not. So happy you posted. But so NOT happy you didn't find them. I understand how upsetting this has been to you, losing something so meaningful. On the bright side, you still have the man who gave them to you!

@shaggygirl :  No truer words were spoken about my DH.  He is the nicest man I know and is upset for me.  He still looks for those rings.  Thank you so much.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo wrote:

A co-worker of mine lost a ring that her terminally ill husband had someone make for her.  She spent a Saturday searching her office cubicle and the parking lot.  Couldn't find it.  On Monday morning I was putting my lunch in the office refrigerator.  I opened the crisper and heard a thud.  Wondering what the sound was I pulled out the crisper and lo and behold there was the ring.  Have you looked throuout your refrigerator and freezer?

@Scooby Doo :  Yes, believe it or not I have LOL.  They are not to be found as of yet.  My solitaire and band are together somewhere.  Thank you for the suggestion.

P.S. I am glad your coworker found her special ring.  I understand that feeling.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom   Did you call the pawn shops?  (That's where I left off yesterday on the other thread.)

Another suggestion for new rings since you don't want to go the whole diamond route again...  What if you didn't even go with the diamond look at all and just found something you really love in another stone and/or another metal?  I think that's what I would do if I were in your situation.  (But I'm not a big fan of "wedding sets" anyway.)

Just something to consider.

Honored Contributor

My Mom lost her wedding and engagement ring. We looked all over the house for weeks. Did not find them. It caused tension between my parents. Because my Dad did not want to invest $$$ in another set. Mom had a different opinion.

Well, about a year later I was planting some seeds in the yard and found the rings. I ran in all excited because I found the rings. 

What we figured happened was the dinner table always had a tablecloth. And one of us kids always shook the tablecloth outside before we set the table. We figured Mom put her rings on the table and kids don't notice those things. And out the rings went, into our yard.

I hope you find your rings.

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Hoovermom   Did you call the pawn shops?  (That's where I left off yesterday on the other thread.)

Another suggestion for new rings since you don't want to go the whole diamond route again...  What if you didn't even go with the diamond look at all and just found something you really love in another stone and/or another metal?  I think that's what I would do if I were in your situation.  (But I'm not a big fan of "wedding sets" anyway.)

Just something to consider.

@faeriemoon :  Yes, I started calling pawn shops in my area and was told our state has a law that all pawn shops have to report things that are being pawned to local Police Department.  Then I called my local police department, they sent someone out, saw a picture of my set and wrote a report up.  I already have a beautiful burmese ruby with diamonds for my right hand, so I don't think I want another "right hand" ring.  DH is looking at a replacement, so I will see where his path takes us.  Yes, I would much rather have my jewels back........thanks for your help.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

My Mom lost her wedding and engagement ring. We looked all over the house for weeks. Did not find them. It caused tension between my parents. Because my Dad did not want to invest $$$ in another set. Mom had a different opinion.

Well, about a year later I was planting some seeds in the yard and found the rings. I ran in all excited because I found the rings. 

What we figured happened was the dinner table always had a tablecloth. And one of us kids always shook the tablecloth outside before we set the table. We figured Mom put her rings on the table and kids don't notice those things. And out the rings went, into our yard.

I hope you find your rings.

@drizzellla :  What a happy ending for your mom, maybe I will have that same kind of "finding of my rings".  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

A co-worker of mine lost a ring that her terminally ill husband had someone make for her.  She spent a Saturday searching her office cubicle and the parking lot.  Couldn't find it.  On Monday morning I was putting my lunch in the office refrigerator.  I opened the crisper and heard a thud.  Wondering what the sound was I pulled out the crisper and lo and behold there was the ring.  Have you looked throuout your refrigerator and freezer?

This was years ago and I posted about this. This happened to me with a 18k dangling lock & key.  It's from Judith Ripka and my husband bought it when he was in New York.  I wore it on my pinky finger.  I went food shopping wearing it.  I remember looking at it in the car coming home.  After putting away the food, I noticed it was gone.  Looked all over the car and the house.  Did not find.  Didn't tell my husband.  Several days later I opened up the fridge to get some eggs.  You guessed it.  It was lying underneath an egg!  It slipped off my pinky when I put in the egg.  It was embarrassing and funny at the same time. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Losing jewelry of personal importance is painful.  I'm so sorry you can't find your rings.

Like you, I'm at a stage in my life that I don't plan to buy much new jewelry, especially expensive pieces.  Of all the items thieves stole this summer, what I really care about are the pieces that had personal attachments  I used to marvel when hearing storm or fire victims tell reporters that what mattered was life, not all their things and wonder how they thought later on.  I understand better now -  lots of what I lost was valuable in the money sense. but nearly every sentimental piece came from someone no longer alive.  That loss tears at my inner being.

If I were to decide to replace my diamond pieces -  I'd go look at my local jewelry shops.  I know I've seen faux stones in some settings that I didn't even know were faux just by eyesight.  I would buy good settings for whatever I'd choose.  Whatever your decision, I wish you contentment with it and more years of your long marriage as you wear it.