Super Contributor

Re: Kirks Folly closing their doors... It's over.

On 9/30/2014 banjo said:

These ladies are quick to blame QVC, but how do you know they were ousted by QVC? Maybe their contract was up and KF chose not to renew it?

Jenniefer Kirk sent emails to KF fans, asking them to contact QVC and hopefully convince them to change their mind. They were very disappointed that their contract was not being renewed. The decision was QVC's.

Super Contributor

'Remember the magic'.....

Honored Contributor

I loved the shows, and I loved the jewelry because of the "magic" it inspired however I couldn't wear it. I turned it black, wore off the coating and made black marks on my skin... I still have their Alladin's Lamp Pin, still looks gorgeous because it was always pinned to my suit lapel and didn't touch my skin. Even so, I had their Peter Pan Watch until it lost all but one of its charms and looked hideously dark and chipped looking, but I loved that watch.

I also found (and still have) a pair of Star Earrings... just changed out the fish hooks occasionally and they were awesome.

I bought those at Nordstroms....

I did buy a couple of incredible scarves that I still have....

I do miss their shows and I wish them the best but I guess the public's love affair with Fairies and Magic Dust is over. It's a shame....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

On 9/30/2014 mousiegirl said:
On 9/30/2014 newlook said:

I was curious to see how these small vendors do after being ousted by QVC. Now I know. They were only viable on QVC. Same thing could happen to Quacker Factory if QVC chooses to cut them loose. Seems like QVC is out to destroy small vendors and put in lines that only they can totally control.

This company was well established in the market before coming to QVC according to what I have heard during the shows from Jennifer.

i am heartsick.

mousiegirl is right. kirk's folly was (is) headquartered in rhode island. when i lived there many years ago, my friends dragged me to a 'factory sale'. it was a kirk's folly factory sale and was held in a great big warehouse. we walked in and picked up shopping baskets that you carry (like are at the grocery stores) and LOADED those baskets up with gobs of beautiful goodies at unbelievable prices.

to this day (and that was back in the early 90's) i STILL daily wear a great big, gorgeous kirk's folly watch! and i still have three or four necklaces that i also wear, and they are simply gorgeous.

i am just heartsick ... love you and will miss you, kirk's folly!

Honored Contributor

On 9/30/2014 miss got rocks said:

I am so ANGRY at QVC. I know that QVC dropped them, and not the other way around, because after their last show in march, they sended out an email saying the QVC did not want to schedule anymore shows with them anymore. I do think if that they didn't of done this, the line would of continued. QVC deliberately degraded there shows so that they wouldn't become more popular. Then once they did that, they shubbed in mor stupid bronzo. I swear from hear on out, I am not buying from qvc no longer.

It's angering because I'm sure there were a lot of buyers... just like what they did to Gloria and the Polish Stoneware. Nothing original or quaint on QVC anymore, just DysonDysonDyson and DELL.... and Bronzo (all of which I'm just not interested in).

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Occasional Contributor

I am so sad that Kirks Folly is ending. I loved their QVC shows back in the day of the magical sets. I never missed a show and I bought a lot!

I am so glad that I traveled to Rhode Island one year for the Kirks Folly factory sale! I met Jenniefer. What a sweet lady!! She took the time to show me how she sews two of their sparkly scarves together to make a robe. We took a picture together. What fun!!

I'll always remember that day fondly. I will miss the magic of Kirks Folly.

Respected Contributor

On 9/30/2014 Q4u said:
On 9/30/2014 miss got rocks said:

I am so ANGRY at QVC. I know that QVC dropped them, and not the other way around, because after their last show in march, they sended out an email saying the QVC did not want to schedule anymore shows with them anymore. I do think if that they didn't of done this, the line would of continued. QVC deliberately degraded there shows so that they wouldn't become more popular. Then once they did that, they shubbed in mor stupid bronzo. I swear from hear on out, I am not buying from qvc no longer.

It's angering because I'm sure there were a lot of buyers... just like what they did to Gloria and the Polish Stoneware. Nothing original or quaint on QVC anymore, just DysonDysonDyson and DELL.... and Bronzo (all of which I'm just not interested in).

It does seem that they are losing all of the unique vendors. I predict the Irish shows will be gone soon to continue this trend.

For those who live near their factory they are going to have a factory sale as well.

Contributor

This is the email announcement:

Greetings to All Our Dear Friends,

I have to express our great love and appreciation for you, your friendship, kindness, loyalty and just being the very special group of people that you are ~ and you are truly a magical group!

We've spent 35 years dancing in the light of the Seaview Moon and Sparkling the World together. Each and every one of you is an important part of our lives. We've met you in stores, at fairy tea parties, in live audiences, on QVC, on cruises, and at factory sales. We've gotten to know you through your letters, e-mails, phone calls, Facebook and Youtube. You are the heart and inspiration of Kirks Folly.

This is very difficult to say, but I must tell you that Kirks Folly will be closing its Fairyland Doors on Saturday, November 1st, 2014. The Kirks Folly that we know and love has had its glorious time in the sun. We know that every ending is a new beginning, a new chance to Dream and Believe ~ and that only the fates and the fairies know what lies ahead for each and every one of us.

We will be celebrating the life of this wonderful business with Two Extraordinary Events ~

First ~ our Fairy Farewell Online Sale
Wednesday, October 1st thru Friday, October 17th
In honor of our amazing friends we will be offering a 70% OFF SALE of already discounted prices. This is our special way of saying "thank you" for your friendship and loyalty ~ and to ensure that all our beloved Collections find the right home with people who love them. (We realize that you may have already placed orders with Kirks Folly ~ please understand that we cannot issue any credits for previous orders due to our Fairy Farewell Sale.) The Kirks Folly Online Store will close at midnight on October 17th.

Second ~ our Fairy Farewell Factory Sale
Friday, October 31st, 9-5 and
Saturday, November 1st, 9-5
Please join us if you can at the Scottish Rite Masonic Center, 2115 Broad St., Cranston, RI ~ we would love to see as many of you as possible! This is a perfect time to pull out your costumes and party with the Kirks Folly Witches. Let's celebrate 35 years of enchantment in Fairyland style!

We love you all and don't want you to worry about us. We are all in good health and as much as we've loved it, we realize that this Chapter has come to an end. We will always be here for you ~ you can find us on Facebook and Youtube and, as always, email me at Jenniefer@Kirksfolly.com. Please keep the magic of Fairyland forever in your hearts and continue to Sparkle the World.

Until we meet again...

I leave you with this:

May flowers always line your path and sunshine light your day.
May songbirds serenade you every step along the way.
May a rainbow run beside you in a sky that's always blue.
And may happiness fill your heart each day your whole life through.
- Irish Blessing

Magic Always,
Jenniefer, your Fairy Godmother

I'm so sad to see this line go. I've been collecting since my 20's when I bought my very first piece at Nordstrom's; a lovely necklace that looks as nice today as the day I bought it. I stayed with them through my 30's, 40's and, as of this year, my 50's.

I will never forget the first time I saw their collection at Nordstrom's. It took my breath away and literally stopped me in my tracks. I went back every day for the next 4 days just to keep looking since I couldn't afford all that I wanted, which was pretty much everything. When I found them on QVC I was over the moon! KF is why I became a Q shopper.

It was so disappointing when QVC revamped to try and be more... distinguished or main stream I guess and dropped the fantasy sets and costumes. And I was really irritated when they let KF's 20th anniversary go by with barely a mention, no cake & celebration like they give other vendors for their 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. anniversaries, and a pathetic 2:00am time slot. What an insult. That was really classless QVC! I think Joan Rivers is the only other vendor that had been there longer than KF?

Fortunately, I was able to go to some of their meet-and-greets at various locations and the factory sales (awesome!) a few times. I'll continue to treasure everything I have and be grateful for having found KF when I did. So many years of enjoyment... Thanks Kirks Folly!

Respected Contributor

On 9/30/2014 Pagan said:

Not me, I admit. I'm too old now to pull off the jewelry in my environment.

I also think that whimsical look has been out of fashion for a long time. It's all about the high status look now.

I think KF has been going down the pan for a while and that's why they moved it to the wee hours. I wondered if most of their sales were coming from California nowadays since that's a better fit in the current climate.

I hadn't heard of this brand before and I'm sorry for everyone that loved it. I just went to the website to see if there was anything of interest. I think Pagan is right though. This look is largely over and QVC keeps the big sellers during the prime hours. They've got this down to a fine science.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Trusted Contributor

On 9/30/2014 AuntG said:

America's buying habits have changed, but I did enjoy the shows with Judy hosting.

ITA. The average KF customer is probably 50+, and it's vital to lure in younger ones to stay in business. They seem to be buying more trendy/cheap/disposable than anything else, and that's just not KF.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.