Contributor

June is Pearl Month - Where's Honora?

[ Edited ]

Honora has been sprinkling in new items here and there, but June used to be their big month here on the Q.  I'm wishing they have a TSV or something but it seems to be too quiet, especially now that Joel has retired.  Anyone got any scoop?

Honored Contributor

Re: June is Pearl Month - Where's Honora?

@KJV No real idea, but I did take a look at the Honora website.  Unless I missed it, Honora has closed down their own retail brick and mortar, so I looked at their Macy's offerings where they have quite a few pieces.  I didn't scroll the whole collection, but the bulk of what I did look at was over $200 or more even with special Memorial Day sales going on.  That makes it easy for me to bypass them.

Trusted Contributor

I also wish there were a couple of Honora shows.  I saw some Ming pearls by Honora on the Mac*y's website as well but miss the whole variety of selections that used to be presented here on the Q.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, found something , paper clip chain with Baroque pearl  that my Daughter would love . Gave her an Honora  pearl necklace  3 yrs ago  when she became a new Mom.

Contributor

Yes, I am very familiar with Macy's offerings from Honora.  If you look closely there are even some items labeled as Macy's brand but are actually Honora merchandise.  You can tell from the clasp design.  Macy's has actually been getting more Honora pieces than QVC but their prices aren't comparable unless the item is 70% off Macy's retail.  Honora's brick and mortar was shut down years ago, and there are some pieces available on Amazon or Jewelry.com.  QVC used to be the best place, but I guess I'll have to get used to that no longer being the case.  Thanks!

Contributor

Well I have to laugh because they just released two more new items (ring and bracelet) after I posted this last night.  Not sure if I'm interested in them yet, I'll wait for a sale.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

There is a Weekly Special Value of Honora studs right now:

https://www.qvc.com/Honora-Cultured-Pearl-Set-of-2-Stud-Ear-rings%2CBoxed.product.J491773.html

And a Honora necklace just popped up in the Lunchtime Specials:

https://www.qvc.com/Honora-Cultured-Pearl-%26-Gemstone-Bead-36%22-Necklace-Sterling.product.J354630....

But I agree that it would be nice to have a Honora show in June (or some other time soon). Even if there aren't any major changes in the company and sales approach following Joel's departure, though, I'm guessing that with their pearls being overseas, there are likely complications with harvesting, supply chain, and shipping.

Respected Contributor

There's over 4,000 Honora items over on ebay. That's where I find the beautiful older"vintage" pieces that Q offered years ago. That's where Honora seems to live now.

Esteemed Contributor

The art of cultivating pearls has come so far that imho there is no reason to spend hundreds or thousands (Mikimoto) when there are many many places that have lovely pieces for well under $100 or $50.  I buy Shell pearls on EBay when I now purchase. These are fake pearls (nacre ground up and reassembled think block turquoise) but I can't tell the difference between them and Mikimoto and they wear like iron.  You can find them on EBay.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a company Pearl Paradise who claims their pearls are like Mikimoto. No they are not, not even close. If you like a certain look, or qualities, you might choose top the line, if you see no difference, then the resemblance is enough.

Same with clothing. There are a lot of similar items or made to look like, but when they are put next to each other there is huge difference in quality.