Trusted Contributor

June 2014 Vicenza Style Pricing Observation

Greetings, all! After reviewing the preview for the upcoming shows, I've done a little homework with respect to an Arte d'Oro item coming up (J336561). It is an 18K graduated bead necklace selling for $7,074.14 with a weight of 51.9 g, for a price per g of $136.30. Back in the day before I retired, I bought a similar piece, J10800, that was the same size beads all around, also 18K, priced at the time (12/2007) at $3,705.00 with a weight of 70.8 g. The price of gold back then was lower, true, at $21 - $28 per gram and today it is $41 per gram. So the price of gold has about doubled looking end to end at the per gram level but the price has gone up 2.6 times. The design can't be the reason as the two necklaces are basically the same design, one with graduated beads and one with same size beads. So there has been some nice margin/profit expansion in the price over the years and I doubt that much of it has gone to the small factories we hear about during the presentations. I thought the data was worth sharing - just the science geek in me. I am all for companies making a profit but sometimes it does seem excessive. Apologies in advance for my mathematical rant.
Super Contributor

Re: June 2014 Vicenza Style Pricing Observation

If you already own a similar piece, why do you even care? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Congratulate yourself on being old and wise, and have a little sympathy for people who are buying gold now.

Trusted Contributor

On 6/12/2014 ennui1 said:

If you already own a similar piece, why do you even care? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Congratulate yourself on being old and wise, and have a little sympathy for people who are buying gold now.

Just providing the data on price and cost now vs then if anyone chooses to compare!
Honored Contributor

MJDinHawaii - thanks for the information. I've griped about the cost of gold the last few years and it confirms I'm not nuts when you spell it out mathematically.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise