Trusted Contributor

Re: Judith Ripka-What's happening with the business?

On 1/10/2015 AnnaBella said: She sold out for 22 Million. Probably see less and less of her.
That's fine with me, I'm not a fan of hers or any vendor who charges outrageous prices like she does. In today's world, many people don't have or want to spend that kind of money on SS jewelry, that is except her Ripkanistas. And I'm sure she's very nice to them, let's face it, they are her cash cow and without them she probably would have been gone from QVC a long time ago.
Honored Contributor

On 1/11/2015 Sakuya said: Sold out? Isn't she in her 70s? When is a person allowed to retire? She sold her company and is still active with the line. I don't know how much designing she is doing. Maybe others are designing and she is approving or adding input. It doesn't matter to me. A person is allowed to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

I tend to agree. Her choice, her call and her right to take a back seat, streamline her professional activities and relax if she elects to do so. I haven't been a big fan of her QVC line in some years, though still enjoy the occasional piece but regardless, no matter how much she might be missed should she fade from the scene, it's certainly understandable that she would opt to do so.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

On 1/11/2015 terrier3 said:
On 1/11/2015 colliegirls said:
On 1/11/2015 Sweetiepie2 said:

{#emotions_dlg.wub}I don't know anything about her selling her company but I have been surprised at the HUGE selection of Judith Ripka items being sold at every TJMaxx in my area (Southern California)!!!! Most have an entire case full of just her jewelry. It is not my taste and don't like silver so for those of you wo are fans, stop in at your local TJMaxx and you will find LOADS of her items!

We won't ever see her $$$$$ 18K gold or platinum couture line at TJMaxx, or any other discount store. We cannot compare her high end jewelry to her Q or sterling line.

Her HE line is defunct...out of business...gone forever.

Hi terrier: I had no idea that Judith's HE line was totally defunct. Is that solid information or is this speculation? I was recently told that her JR2 and Couture things could still be ordered if not in stock.....can you clarify your position? Thank you so much!

Valued Contributor

She has earned the right to relax and enjoy herself. I just wish they would have been more transparent to the buyers and fans of her jewelry in the last few years.

As an original fan and buyer, I had to find out the hard way that the higher prices meant less weight and quality than the lovely pieces I already have. It bothered me every time I saw her on acting like the dumbed down new things were the quality she was originally known for. I just enjoy what I have and will never buy another.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/11/2015 kjae said:

Sakuya, I was not criticizing her selling her company or slowing down. I was merely asking if anyone knew if indeed the Madison Avenue store was closed as I read it in a comment sent to her asking where they could take items now that needed repair. I was also curious as to why there was not currently a website. At least the original website could have stayed up until the new one was ready.

You obviously took it the wrong way based on the tone of your comment.

I was not commenting on your post.
Honored Contributor

On 1/11/2015 motherinlaw said:
On 1/11/2015 terrier3 said:
On 1/11/2015 colliegirls said:
On 1/11/2015 Sweetiepie2 said:

{#emotions_dlg.wub}I don't know anything about her selling her company but I have been surprised at the HUGE selection of Judith Ripka items being sold at every TJMaxx in my area (Southern California)!!!! Most have an entire case full of just her jewelry. It is not my taste and don't like silver so for those of you wo are fans, stop in at your local TJMaxx and you will find LOADS of her items!

We won't ever see her $$$$$ 18K gold or platinum couture line at TJMaxx, or any other discount store. We cannot compare her high end jewelry to her Q or sterling line.

Her HE line is defunct...out of business...gone forever.

Hi terrier: I had no idea that Judith's HE line was totally defunct. Is that solid information or is this speculation? I was recently told that her JR2 and Couture things could still be ordered if not in stock.....can you clarify your position? Thank you so much!

They are eliminating the lines and selling off what is left. The HE stores are all closing.

If they trumpeted the news - it would reduce the value of what's left.

They will basically be left with junky costume grade stuff.

Super Contributor

On 1/10/2015 ValuSkr said:
On 1/10/2015 AnnaBella said: Probably see less and less of her.

I think you're right. She sold out. They bought her name and related rights. As she fades away they'll continue to market under the Ripka label.

same company bought out and owns Issac marazzi and Liz Claiborne.

Trusted Contributor

Very well said, Waterbaby. Also, if I remember correctly, it was only the USA line she sold. I believe her overseas line in Russia is still active under her control. I agree with the other posters that her line has been diluted. I still have her older pieces that I wear. As others have said, I stopped buying when the prices began to rocket up.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/10/2015 jump4joy said: Hope it won't end up like Imperial Gold. They had a good run on the q and then just disappeared...loved their jewelry!,

When the price of gold went through the roof several years ago, IG was priced out of the market. Hand-made gold pieces made in the usa, plus gram weight of the gold made their jewelry way too expensive. IG was a family business and took pride in the jewelry they made. Sad but fine jewelry sold at the Q seems to be non-existent.

Valued Contributor

On 1/12/2015 Deanie said:

Very well said, Waterbaby. Also, if I remember correctly, it was only the USA line she sold. I believe her overseas line in Russia is still active under her control. I agree with the other posters that her line has been diluted. I still have her older pieces that I wear. As others have said, I stopped buying when the prices began to rocket up.

Thank you, Deanie. After reading the later comments I want to add that JR really spread herself thin having her items on all sorts of sale sites and SAMs club. Most of this pieces were made especially for SAMs. What didn't sell by last October was sent back to the company and the stock that RueLaLa, GILT, HauteLook, etc are all discounted to liquidate. TJMAXX is a secondary buyer and they have always carried pieces from JR, Bixby, Honora, etc. As, Deanie said, I believe her line in an exclusive Russian store remains and I believe that that is where her entire remaining couture collection went. But, once that 18K, platinum and other things get depleted I think that will dissolve as well. So, enjoy what you have and if you want to sell, do it, they will never get their "mojo" back. Be well, all.