Trusted Contributor

Re: Judith Ripka-What's happening with the business?

Thanks to all of you who shared the information you have. I started the thread on Judith, not as a criticism of her, but rather as true curiosity about what was happening. I just had a strange feeling and then when I tried to find her website which has disappeared and stumbled upon a comment about where to take things for repair now that Madison Ave was closed, I began looking at the high end department stores that carried her items. Most was on sale and very little of that, so it truly did seem that something was wrong. I knew she had sold the company to a big conglomerate, but I thought she would still continue to design with them controlling more of how the business was run. I never imagined that the stores would be closed. And we all remember her trip to Russia and the opening of that store.

I admire her greatly. Her creativity and building of that business is amazing. Yes, she has earned the right to pull back. Just thought there would not be all of these changes.

Again, thanks to you all.

Regular Contributor

22.5 million??!! I'd say ""byebye"" and enjoy the rest of my life with the people I love!!! Life is TOO short!!!

Respected Contributor

From the article on her sale Ripka received 22 million in cash, 500,000 worth of stock of the company she sold to. She also has financial incentives for the amount of sales generated. Ripka is also branching out in other areas of merchandising. She has a contract with the company for 5 years, After that, who knows.

She sold to the same company that owns Issac Mizrahi.

Honored Contributor

On 1/12/2015 Sheesh said:
On 1/11/2015 Sakuya said: Sold out? Isn't she in her 70s? When is a person allowed to retire? She sold her company and is still active with the line. I don't know how much designing she is doing. Maybe others are designing and she is approving or adding input. It doesn't matter to me. A person is allowed to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

I agree with you wholeheartedly; however, I don't think $22M was nearly enough---even double that was not enough, IMHO! She also got stock in the buyout company but that is always a gamble. She had bad business managers and bad negotiators. What's done is done.

I was shocked to see the Flagship store on Madison Avenue close---that must have been hard for Judith.

She was lucky to get 22M.

When she started selling on QVC, her HE appeal went out the window.

Then the Q products' quality went down and down...prices went UP and she doesn't sell out here the way she used to.

If she wants to get back into HE retailers, she will be coming in with lower profits for HER...basically crawling back.

I love her HE and JR2 lines...and used to love the early QVC stuff too.

Her stuff over the last few years is basically junky, overpriced fashion jewelry...studded with fake "stones" and doublets.

The PERFECT recipe for how to run a business name into the ground, IMO.

Honored Contributor

I read she's expanding her line and going back into high-end retail

Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2015 brii said:

I read she's expanding her line and going back into high-end retail

Like I replied to you on the other post...she may be trying HE again...but I'm sure the profit margin will be lower for her.

I used to see her HE stuff at Sak's in NYC. A salesman there told me her items weren't popular anymore because ANYONE could get Ripka "knock offs" at QVC and even Costco!

Yes, it was probably snotty of him to say so...but also true!

You don't close profitable stores that you own (and can keep all the profits) to go back to selling in space at other stores - where you make less money.

Valued Contributor

I think as long as she doesn't copy her high end designs for QVC the HE could work. Some of her new HE pieces are just stunning and couldn't possibly be copied for the lower end. Most of her HE pieces look it, and just have a different look. The low end retailers have to go though. They may be profitable but they are hurting her image. There are a lot of QVC lines that sell there and also maintain high end businesses too. Look at Dennis Basso for instance!

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I
Super Contributor

Does anyone know if it's true about Her sx scandle as reported by either tmz or fox can't remember which one ,people went crazy on Paula Deens,