Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Judith Ripka-What's happening with the business?

Some years ago I went to her Chicago store and saw what her gold line looked like. It was lovely. There seemed to be a change in her QVC line some years ago when she shifted over to diamonique. Really sad.

Valued Contributor

Waterbaby, how do you know the line was specifically made for Sam's Club? I don't like them doing that! I do notice that the line is different in those places you had mentioned. More blue and canary colored crystal and a different look from the couture and QVC lines. She actually sold the company and intellectual rights for $22,500 million.

She stands to make more money in the deal if her pieces sell well, so you won't be seeing less of her. The couture line lent prestige to the QVC line, and without that, I don't know what will support the high prices. Her customers have definitely noticed the lower quality, fake stones, too much DMQ and lighter weight of the newer pieces. I too am put off by all the discounting and wide, low end distribution of her brand. It doesn't look good to keep discounting the brand and it makes it seem it doesn't sell well, and they are trying to unload stock. Better to price it well at the beginning, and get more sales. Also, when someone buys at full price and then sees it being discounted at much less both on QVC and in the stores, it makes them not want to make that mistake again, and wait for the price to drop to buy!

I just hope they don't milk the line for all it's worth all it's worth while it's still hot, and then just take the money and run! Her line has had longevity for a good number of years, and has done well for that time period. They are now implementing a whole new sales model, cutting out the prestige part, and it might not be the best choice for the continued viability of the line.

Frequent Contributor

I hate to see the line go. That said, the QVC Ripka line was so much better years ago. It truly was beautiful. The last several years have shown a marked decline in both design and quality. The stuff offered lately has been garbage and overpriced at that. Very sad.

Frequent Contributor

Hi Waterbaby, FYI Judith just turned 72 this past December 25th but I think she would love that you thought that she was still in her sixties. Her remaining stores in the U.S. did just close leaving none left here. I am talking about her small store at 673 Madison Ave., NY and her store in East Hills, Long Island, NY. Sorry to see them go. Most definitely end of an era.
Honored Contributor

JR is smart to sell the business when the fire is hot. Same with other companies like Philosophy, etc.

The only problem is these brands decline in quality. They change the ingredients, cheapen the materials. etc. They hope noone notices and make a HUGE quick profit and then they don't care.

Valued Contributor

Judith has a message on her facebook page giving a bit of info. You don't have to have a facebook account to read her page.

libby's folly
Valued Contributor

I am a long time JR collector and lover for over 20 years and I still am. I have a huge collection and still continue to collect. I buy pieces I love and can afford. I continue to love them and appreciate them over time. I remember the first piece of JR jewelry I purchased was a 36" pearl necklace over 20 years ago. I wanted that necklace so badly, my husband purchased it for my anniversary that year. The priced at that time over $200. That was a lot, but it was worth every penny to me. I still have it, wear it and love it. I have never been in and out of love for JR jewelry. I have never sold any of my JR collection, I did not buy for resale but for my pleasure.

Super Contributor

On 1/10/2015 AnnaBella said: She sold out for 22 Million. Probably see less and less of her.

Good for her. She worked hard for many years. Everyone wants to retire. I would do the same thing.

Honored Contributor

Glad I bought what I wanted when I did..... but as much as she deserves to retire and rest... how can a creative soul sell out to let others take over and lessen the line in quality and still feel ok about themselves. OH.. yeah, a trillion billion dollars ought to do it... {#emotions_dlg.angry}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Blondelle wrote:

> She actually sold the company and intellectual rights for $22,500 million.

Yowza. $22,500 million = $22.5 billion. I knew she sold the company, but I had no idea she got more than 22 billion for it. Wow. She did great!! Congratulatios, JR!!!