Esteemed Contributor

Re: Joya Moissanite by Judy Crowell! QVC should offer moissanite as well!

@Stellabystarlight wrote:

Moissanite looks more real than any other diamond simulant, and it is not just my opinion, it is the opinion of GIA jewelers!  I would love it to come to the Q.

The only stone in the world that looks like or looks better than a diamond is a gemstone called Sphene.  Moisannite looks nothing like a real diamond.

Moissanite is its own gemstone – it is not a diamond.  Consumers need to stop comparing it to a diamond.  Do we compare a white topaz to a diamond?  No, we do not! Moissanite is a gemstone for people who want to step outside of the box, set new traditions for their family, and set a good example for their children.  It is a gemstone for people who want to make a smart financial decision, and wear something gorgeous, brilliant, and sparkly without supporting war and violence.

http://blog.charlesandcolvard.com/is-this-going-to-look-like-a-diamond/

WHAT IS MOISSANITE?

Moissanite is a gemstone born from the stars. It was first discovered in 1893 by a French scientist named Henri Moissan, who later won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry. He discovered microscopic particles of the gem that would eventually bear his name in Arizona, in a crater created by a meteorite that fell to Earth. He initially thought that he had discovered diamonds, but later determined that the crystals were composed of silicon carbide.

Natural moissanite is incredibly rare, so moissanite available today is laboratory-created. After many years of trial and error, the particles Moissan discovered were successfully synthesized to produce what is now one of the world’s most scintillating gemstones.

Moissanite is engineered to give the illusion of similarity to diamonds, but is compositionally and visually quite different from a real diamond. The durability, brilliance, and color of the two gems are quite distinct.

http://www.brilliantearth.com/news/moissanite-vs-diamond/

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

@Stellabystarlight wrote:

I just received an email from Evine that Judy Crowell will premiere a new line called "Joya Moissanite."

I took a peek and the line looks pretty.  Now that Moissanite is off-patent, QVC should take the opportunity to offer Moissanite as well!  I have a few pieces - Forever Brilliant - a step up from their original, which is a color equivalent to G,H, I.  Moissanite has a new white color almost flawless color called Forever One that is D, E, F in color.  The original, Forever Classic is equal in color to J, K. 

Please bring Moissanite to the Q!

Hey, enjoy it!  I do not own any Moissanite but glad that they improved the color. 

It was really greenish to me, like a bad diamond, but the light dispersion was fantastic.

I have a bunch of Signity and Brilliante pieces, all D color and look so real.

Hope Judy will meet your expectations.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Why?  It's still a man made created stone and outrageously priced.  They already have Dmq, they don't need a more expensive fake diamond.

@chrystaltree  Moissanite makes Diamonique or any CZ look sick.  Love Moissanite  but not interested in watching either of the sleazy Deaseys.

LOL, that sums up my feelings perfectly.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Why?  It's still a man made created stone and outrageously priced.  They already have Dmq, they don't need a more expensive fake diamond.

@chrystaltree  Moissanite makes Diamonique or any CZ look sick.  Love Moissanite  but not interested in watching either of the sleazy Deaseys.

"sleazy Deaseys" what is the back story there??

I have ordered some from JTV in past but the settings weren't to my liking for that high cost (silver)....one even appeared slightly yellow tint...compared it to my CZ's and saw no difference in loose stones too.  Must be a grading difference/quality...I did order one ring from Judy's new line just to see....the 2 stone ring...looked modern and stones not overly big.  It better look better then my diamond or back it goes LOL!  

Esteemed Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

"sleazy Deaseys" what is the back story there??

I have ordered some from JTV in past but the settings weren't to my liking for that high cost (silver)....one even appeared slightly yellow tint...compared it to my CZ's and saw no difference in loose stones too.  Must be a grading difference/quality...I did order one ring from Judy's new line just to see....the 2 stone ring...looked modern and stones not overly big.  It better look better then my diamond or back it goes LOL!  

That's what moissanite is.  It has a higher dispersion than a diamond.  So, it can't possibly look like a diamond.  Moissanite plays with the light better check out you tube videos.  Some people prefer not to use this as a diamond look a like (like Zircon and CZ cause it's just way more sparkly, thus the "fake looking factor is a concern).  They don't look like diamonds.  They do look BETTER than diamonds if you like the dispersion factor @tsavorite.  They do have a yellow cast to them.  They have now discovered how to create pastel colors in Moisannite too.

BTW Tsavorite is one of my favorite all time garents!

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi itiswhatitis LOL like your handle!  I guess my experience thru JTV was a let down...I was expecting the moissanite to sparkle and glow more then my natural diamond and even Cz's....it didn't.  I had a loose one 7mm....I even had my son who knows nothing about jewelry look at all 3 together and he couldn't see any difference at all.  My diamond (7mm) the moissanite (7mm) and CZ (7mm)....I then brought out a "white" stronium titanate (7mm) and that one sparkles and glows like crazy but it is slightly "yellowish" looking...just a touch almost not noticable but the color play is off the charts.  If that material wasn't so easy to scratch up I'd have it set in my old wedding ring mounting for fun.  

I am hoping the quality of this moissanite from Evine is truly a higher grade....I want to be able to see that fire/sparkle difference your talking about.  That won't bother me ....I want sparkle!

Edit....just had a thought...perhaps it wasn't the quality maybe the cutting of the material is what was causing the issue??

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite wrote:

Hi itiswhatitis LOL like your handle!  I guess my experience thru JTV was a let down...I was expecting the moissanite to sparkle and glow more then my natural diamond and even Cz's....it didn't.  I had a loose one 7mm....I even had my son who knows nothing about jewelry look at all 3 together and he couldn't see any difference at all.  My diamond (7mm) the moissanite (7mm) and CZ (7mm)....I then brought out a "white" stronium titanate (7mm) and that one sparkles and glows like crazy but it is slightly "yellowish" looking...just a touch almost not noticable but the color play is off the charts.  If that material wasn't so easy to scratch up I'd have it set in my old wedding ring mounting for fun.  

I am hoping the quality of this moissanite from Evine is truly a higher grade....I want to be able to see that fire/sparkle difference your talking about.  That won't bother me ....I want sparkle!

Edit....just had a thought...perhaps it wasn't the quality maybe the cutting of the material is what was causing the issue??

@tsavorite, Charles and Colvard are the original people to create it.  I can't speak to any other manufacturers.  Go to Charles and Colvard website and read.  It will also give you pics of how to tell the difference between the Diamond and the Moissanite.  I do know Evine sells some and theirs look nice.  I guess it's not all created equal since there is more than one manufacturer now.

Thanks, for the compliment on the handle.  Come back and let us know if you liked your purchase.  I'm a sparkle girl too.  One reason I love garnets.  They have a high refractive index as well.  Good luck @tsavorite!

Sparkle, sparkle, sparkle.  Can't get enough.Smiley LOL

*Call Tyrone*
Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Kachina624

@Moonchilde

giphy-5.gif

Super Contributor

I'm wondering why Moissanite is so expensive? It is man made just like CZ's.

I've only seen a few pieces in person at a jewelry store. The prices were sky high and they looked awful compared to a diamond or CZ.

I would try one of the better made ones if it was a good price, a price that was comparable to Diamondique or CZ.

Respected Contributor

Moissanite prices are coming down since the gem is now off-patent and can be sold by other jewelry companies!  It looks much more like a diamond than cz!