Contributor
Where are all of the jewelry shows lately? We’re approaching Christmas and I haven’t seen any offerings by Judith Ripka, Barbara Bixby, Or Paz or really any of the other designers I used to enjoy. I’m really getting tired of candles, decorative items, food, skincare and the like. While I enjoy these shows too, the Q was always a place to find great jewelry designs especially at this time of year. Anyone with me on this?
Respected Contributor

Re: Jewelry showd

[ Edited ]

About 10 months ago someone posted a business analysis developed by QVC. The jewelry does not boost the bottom line. They were intent on focusing on beauty and electronics. Must have a great markup. The repetition of the same products incessantly during the day is a real turnoff for me.

Valued Contributor

Jewelry was a big seller for the Q when the price of gold and silver were down. Silver at $3.00 and gold at $300.00 an ounce made it possible to get really nice, big pieces for much less.

I remember a TSV that sold out in about 15 minutes. It was a herringbone necklace in 14K gold, 10 grams for $99.00. Now, you can't get near anything that weight, and I haven't seen a herringbone anything. 

Their silver is way over priced just because of some designer's name on it. Silver is still only $17.00 an ounce. That's not high, but add someone's name to it, and you're paying gold prices.

Then they have started with this gold plateing and they increase the price by $10.00. Vermiel used to sell for less, now it's more. You could get a plated Diamonique tennis bracelet for $99.00 way back when, I haven't kept up on what that would be now. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Jewelry showd

[ Edited ]

Judith Ripka on QVC 1 has two shows on 12/12 and two shows on 12/19.

JAI has 3 shows but not until very late on QVC1 and 2 shows on QVC 2.

Barbara Bixby has none.

Carolyn Pollack has none.

Valued Contributor

In the good old days we would see jewelry shows often...even when it wasn't Christmas season.  But somewhere along the way the department was put on a back burner.  Gold buyer left.  Gem buyer left.  It seems like rather than looking for solutions they just gave up!  I bought a lot of QVC jewelry over many years and as a customer I am disappointed to not see more jewelry presented.  I now look on ETSY and more often than not they have what I am looking for but I still have hope that QVC will see the bling!

Honored Contributor

QVC seems to feel that women want to give cleaning tools and supplies for Christmas gifts, rather than jewelry or clothing!

Respected Contributor

There were several mostly gold jewelry shows presented a couple of months ago.  I rarely order jewelry from QVC anymore...most of my pieces are from Evine or HSN. I even picked up some great pieces on Zulily.   

Honored Contributor

I miss those days when jewelry was more affordable,  I bought some really beautiful pieces in the 2000’s. 

Honored Contributor

@shopperqvcI'm so glad I wanted to buy jewelry in those days!  I managed to build a very nice classic gold wardrobe.  After I retired, I started a smaller collection of one of a kind pieces, mostly from designers at arts and craft shows.

For 6 or 7 years now, I've spent close to nothing on jewelry.  I rarely watch TV presentations or even walk through the jewelry department when I go shopping locally.  I still have too much.

Valued Contributor

@millieshopsMost of the jewlery was made in Italy in those days, too. Now, much of it comes from China. They just don't have the same talent that the Italians have. The quality was much better, the prices were much better and we all could afford to get at least a few matching pieces. 

Remember the 14K gold hoop earrings for about $40.00? You can't do that today unless they are very small and thin.

Even a ring from Imperial Gold was about $100.00, and those were hand made in the USA back then.

I too, don't need to shop the jewlery department. I think most of us old timers can say that.