Honored Contributor

I can't pass a jewelry counter at craft shows, and I'm watching a jewelry making show on t.v.  I thought about getting back into it, l still have some books from before, but I'd be starting from scratch for supplies.  It's too bad,I think it could be fun to get back into.

My question is:  Does anyone here make jewelry for a hobby? 

Respected Contributor

I make some items with pearls.  Restringing , wire wrapping, etc.  Rio Grande has most everything you will need to create jewelry or cast.

Contributor

Check out Craftsy. They have how to videos on jewelry making and other crafts.  YouTube is also a great source for free tutorials.  

Respected Contributor

I wish that you were near me. I would give you some of my supplies.

I bought every thing. I love making jewelry. With every crystal, stone, bead, metal bead, wire & cap!

I spent every minute (& dollar!) I had to spare on my creations.

Then my step father got sick, my Mom has dementia, my kids all had kids & I didn't have any extra time.

I haven't gotten rid of any of it because it's all so beautiful & I hope to get back into it sometime.

I love to shop at bead shows or on Fire Mountain online.

Respected Contributor

I don't make jewelry, but I've become pretty adept at repairing and modifying it.  I've been buying and wearing jewelry for so many years that it's inevitable that pieces will break, lose a stone, need a clasp adjustment, etc.  I've acquired enough tools that I can often make my own accommodations.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I can't pass a jewelry counter at craft shows, and I'm watching a jewelry making show on t.v.  I thought about getting back into it, l still have some books from before, but I'd be starting from scratch for supplies.  It's too bad,I think it could be fun to get back into.

I tried but I don't have the dexterity to use the small tools and supplies, like tiny beads and clasps

I'll stick to my knitting.

I've been knitting for about 50 years and I love it, but it is time-consuming.

Regular Contributor

I had to smile when I read your post.  I have never been able to pass jewelry counters at craft shows either.  I love looking at gemstones and other beads and dreaming up designs.  I say dreaming because it seems I rarely feel relaxed enough to sit and actually make the pieces.  I recently made a couple of bracelets as gifts and enjoyed every minute of it.

If you decide to get back into jewelry making, I find my best deals for supplies tend to be on eBay and etsy.  Also, don't forget the coupons that Michael's put in their ads quite frequently. The coupons are a great way to buy the tools.

Good luck and have fun~ make something beautiful! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I make jewelry as a business...over 20 yrs. experience. Questions about getting started?

Respected Contributor

I live within 5 miles of a Michaels store and spend many (too many) an hour there perusing the isles. If you like to make your own jewelry start there. Lots of everything you need to get started. Good online too.

Super Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I was seriously thinking about learning to make jewelry for a hobby... I too cannot pass a jewelry stand, either in a craft show or a department store...  If you enjoyed it, then definitely go back to it..