Trusted Contributor
Spoiler

Good on all you creative folks who have ideas and dreams of lovely jewelry.  I am convinced it is a gift; in my wildest dreams I cannot imagine an ideal piece of jewelry.  I know one when I see it, but would never attempt to make it myself.  A tip of the hat to those who can dream it, then make it real.  Amazing!

Honored Contributor

Anyone who is going to put time and effort into jewelry making, should purchase better quality tools, findings, beads and stones than what Michael's or a craft store sells.  You need to find a jewelers supply store either where you live or online. 

@Shanus

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Shanus, Are you able to post any of the pieces you have created?  I truly think of beautiful jewelry as art.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Shanus, Are you able to post any of the pieces you have created?  I truly think of beautiful jewelry as art.

Hi @qualitygal. Pics were posted in jewelry forum months ago. Don't think the "rules" allow me to re-post. There are quite a few large pictures of many items I have made. Hope you can find them.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Anyone who is going to put time and effort into jewelry making, should purchase better quality tools, findings, beads and stones than what Michael's or a craft store sells.  You need to find a jewelers supply store either where you live or online. 

@Shanus

@Kachina624 You're correct. A jeweler needs professional quality tools. Rio Grande online catalog has starter sets of what you'll need at various price points. 

Honored Contributor

Hobby Lobby also has some nice jewelry making things.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

Hobby Lobby also has some nice jewelry making things.

If you're serious about making jewelry, you need professional quality tools. What you purchase at Michael's and Holly Lobby, etc. will not stand up to most metals or wire. They'll need to be replaced in no time. Wasted money.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shanus

@Kachina624 You're correct. A jeweler needs professional quality tools. Rio Grande online catalog has starter sets of what you'll need at various price points. 

@Shanus  Did I tell you I took a beading course at Rio Grande?  They have a large, modern building in an industrial park.  I was disappointed to find they had no showroom.  It's all strictly catalog sales.  You can take your order in and they'll fill it while you wait.  Their phone people also instruct courses and are extremely knowledgeable. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shanus

@Shanus  Did I tell you I took a beading course at Rio Grande?  They have a large, modern building in an industrial park.  I was disappointed to find they had no showroom.  It's all strictly catalog sales.  You can take your order in and they'll fill it while you wait.  Their phone people also instruct courses and are extremely knowledgeable. 

I'm impressed @Kachina624. Did you enjoy the course?