QVC Customer Care

Re: Jewelry ladies: Could you advise me about this ring?

This post has been removed by QVC because it's link to a outside retailer.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kinski-QVCwrote:
This post has been removed by QVC because it's link to a outside retailer.

@Kinski-QVC  I copied a picture and saw no links.  I'm not sure why my picture was removed.  Could you actually click the photo and get to the product?  I'd like some info about posting photos of products with no links or identifying info for future reference.  Was there a way I could have done it so that it might not be removed? I see pictures of  non-QVC items, even with identifying info, posted all the time.

Also, I would like to post the names of suppliers of loose Swarovski crystals in case any of the jewelry ladies would be interested.  QVC doesn't sell loose gems, so would this be okay?

Honored Contributor

@OfCourse Why not see a jeweler and ask if you can get the middle stone changed out to maybe a sapphire or ruby or semi precious like amethyst.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949wrote:

@OfCourse Why not see a jeweler and ask if you can get the middle stone changed out to maybe a sapphire or ruby or semi precious like amethyst.

@151949That's what I'm thinking about doing.  I've never seen a setting like that and won't be able to find anything like it, I'm sure.  I've done a lot of research in the past few days.  I found Swarovski crystals sold for very modest prices at fusionbeads.com and beadaholique.com.  Fusion sells single larger stones (called chatons) while many other sites sell then in sets of six, so I'll buy from them.  They also sell the tiny pave.

I've started looking for jewelers and will be asking around.  I'm not sure anyone would want to work on such a small, odd project.  There's one I'll be e-mailing that's a family-owned business that has good reviews.

This is what I'm planning right now:  A rich red with pink undertones for the center stone.  I wanted a rasberry rhodolite garnet, but that's too expensive, so I'm looking for a Swarovski in a similar color.  Alternatively, there's a crystal in a sort of dusty Victorian rose that I might consider.  However, my heart and what I see in my mind's eye says it should be a deep red/pink like rhodolite garnet. 

Then I was thinking about having the paves on the "leaves" of this flower setting done in green.  The pave is 1 mm and 1.5 mm.  I have to find the right green.  I might post colors here if QVC would allow it and if you are all not sick of hearing about this for input on what colors go best.  I don't want the ring to light up like a Christmas tree with the gree and red!  I want to give it a bit of whimsy, almost cartoon-like quality but subtly and make it beautiful.  The last thing I was thinking of was ruthenium plating because I just feel it should be black.  I see that in my mind's eye.  I've done some research and bookmarked an article that goes into the amounts of plating that are durable.  Sometimes the plating can start wearing off within just weeks or months.

I'm not sure whether the jeweler would charge a design fee to help me choose the colors, but that certainly would be reasonable.  I watched this ring for a year and just love that flower setting.  My birthday is in eight weeks and I was thinking of justifying the expense that way.  I've never dealt with a jeweler and feel like no one will want to be bothered with this, which is understandable.  They're in business to make money, not cater to my odd obsession with this cheap little flower ring.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did some Googling about Swarovski crystals.  I read that they are durable and are designed to be brilliant.  Does anybody know about these?  I don't want to spend the money and end up with something that's not durable or not attractive, or both.  I saw some garnets or rubies on-line for low prices, but I figure they're probably not as good as the Swarovski.  My plan was to buy a half dozen red crystals and maybe two different color green for the pave and decide what works best. If I find a jeweler to help me, maybe I can figure that out.  I know zero about stones, which makes this undertaking difficult. 

Honored Contributor

If they can set it - depending on the quality of the setting - I think you will pay , per stone. If it were me I would only set just the large middle stone as all you want to do could get to be quite expensive. Also , if it were me - I'd only put real stones in a ring because you can break crystals and if you wear this a lot that may be likely to happen.

Valued Contributor

@151949  Thanks for your input.  I removed my initial reply to you because I don't want to try everyone's patience going on about this.  Maybe I'll just send it back if I can't at least have the stone switched and the ring plated black.  I'll get some info from a jeweler if anyone would even do it.  When I was growing up, my younger sisters had two friends whose fathers were jewelers.  That was a long time ago, though.  I very much appreciate your comment about the stone.  You are absolutely right!  Durability is a must.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949  The ring came and it turns out you were exactly right!  I really love it.  It looks less outlandish in person because it's not all magnified like it is in the video and pictures.  I'll just get the stone replaced and ask the jeweler what would be durable in the color range I'm looking for.  I have a dried-up black permanent marker, and I just ran it over the detailed portion.  Instant aging of the metal!  It won't stay on, but who cares?  Thanks to all who offered their advice and stopped me from canceling the order.  Wish I'd picked it up when I first saw it last year.

Respected Contributor

You bought the last one? In that case, this ring is awful and I think you need to get rid of immediately. You can send it to me at......

It's beautiful! I hope they get more in stock so I can buy one for myself. I think you should wear it proudly.

Valued Contributor

@Alison Wonderland  If you want to stalk the ring, put it in your favorites folder at HSN.  You do that by clicking the heart in the upper right corner of the product page.  Then, only when you're signed in, you'll get alerts about when prices drop or an item that sold out is back in stock. 

I got a lab-created bixbite just now over at JTV for under $38.  It's a deep red with what look like pink undertones.  It's an 8 on the Mohs scale of hardness, which I believe is harder than the natural stone.  I appreciate @151949's advice about durability.