Trusted Contributor

Re: Jewelry Purchase Regrets?

I do have some pieces that I've had for many years--mostly pearls, when I was going through a pearl phase--that I just don't wear much anymore.  I gave most of them to my college-age niece, who went wild for them.  That freed up room in my jewelry amoire for some new stuff!!

Honestly, there are hardly any pieces I have bought that I actually regret.  Some things I had restyled or restrung at my jeweler's store.  I gave my daughter most of my cocktail rings--I went through a cocktail ring phase at one time--and she was thrilled!  She will get all of my best pieces one day, and I know she will wear and love them as much as I do.

Honored Contributor

@gulf coast girl wrote:

Me, I have a broken peridot bracelet, I regret buying it, I've only been wearing it 3 weeks, broke already, can't send it back because I bought it back in June and I'm still making stretch pays on it at JTV. Stupid me, it cost me $199.00, sure it was on sale but still shouldn't it have lasted longer than 3 weeks. I kept it put away until my birthday 3 weeks ago. Swell, what a gift, guess it's really junk. I still have 2 more paymnets to make. uuurrgghhh

@gulf coast girl   That is really too bad!  I think you should call them....explain it was a birthday gift and broke....how disappointed you are. You might just get something back. What the heck it could not hurt!

Frequent Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

ANY piece of costume jewelry I've bought since I was 18 years old.  I haven't bought MUCH, but shouldn't have bought ANY.  I tend to wear the same good pieces I own and have collected over a lifetime. 

Best buys:  Pearls 40 years ago; Yurman bracelet and earrings I've just worn and worn, paid for many times over in the last what, 30 years?  Diamond studs.  Big pearl studs.  Good watches.  I have three: Dress, every day, and sporty.  

Sooner, I SO agree with you!  I regret ALL the costume jewelry I bought, and I lump the Diamonique and Ripka in with that.  I sold all the Diamonique set in gold that I had when the gold prices sky rocketed (except for 1 pair of stud earrings and a flower station necklace that I just couldn't bear to part with....). 
I would rather have fewer, nicer pieces than lots of "stuff" that isn't what I really wanted.  I wear my good pieces all the time.  The other stuff, I never wear anymore.  And if I had all that money back, I could buy a REALLY nice piece, LOL!!!!

Respected Contributor

@LyndaGee wrote:

A few years ago, I was on auto-delivery for a set of Judith Ripka bracelets.  I really only wear one of them - The ones with Diamonique really aren't my style.  They're pretty, but elaborate.

I was suckered into those auto-delivery bracelets too.  At least 10 years ago one started with a cuff bracelet with 3 (?) diamonique hearts.  One side of the cuff was narrower than the other.  They tried to tell us it was an optical illusion and not a design flaw. It didn't matter that the sides had different measurements.

There was an auto-delivery bracelet that was almost an inch wide cuff.  It had minimal diamonique.  Everyone was ga-ga over it.  Of course I had to have one.  I have the world's thinnest arms and wrist.  This big, thick , shiny thing looked ridiculous on me.  I'd put it on, then take it off in the car.  I never wore it in public.

Both of those bracelets are still sitting in my jewelry armoire, neither ever worn.

Honored Contributor

Those impulse buys will getcha every time...lol   I am a jewelry collector and a big time shopping channel shopper.  While I have ordered something and had second thoughts when it actually came.  That's always because the item looked different than it looked on tv or was smaller or bigger or I realize I already own something very similar to it.  I can't recall ever buying jewelry that doesn't work for my lifestyle or my clothing. Those are things I think carefully about before I place the order.  I see things I like all the time but I know immediately when a piece won't work for me.  I must say that you should just go ahead and return the jewelry.  You don't want it and there's no point in trying to talk yourself into it.  It will only sit in a drawer.  They have generous return policies for things like this.  Return it and don't feel bad about it.  

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I think all of us who have lots of jewelry have pieces we seldom wear and regret paying for, but we also have pieces we used to love wearing and now they just don't fit into our current lifestyle.

As for buying pieces and never wearing them?  --  one of the best observations about that I remember reading was that "we often buy for the life we want to have, not for the life we're actually living."  I do longer remember whether the writer was talking about jewlery or clothes, but does it matter?

@grammarqueenI have a hard time passing up pearls (much better now that Lisa is gone!), but I'd send those pearls back.  You are not in love with them.

My mom always said "live the life you have, not the life you wish you had".  That applies to everything in life.  I grew up hearing that and I said it 1000 times to my own girls.  

Super Contributor

grammerqueen,  Put that set on, snap a selfie, then wrap it up and mail it back as fast as you can. You will always have the memory of it and your money back.

Esteemed Contributor

My best friend's daughter was having financial problems and got into home parties.......she had a 'jewelry party'......the stuff was all junk.......

Esteemed Contributor

@grammarqueen  In my opinion if you are not sure you will wear it enough, send it back.  Everything I hesitating on , I don't wear.  Waste of money!   JMO 

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops  It is funny how LR was the pearl queen but yet she sells no pearls nor does she wear them.   It is easy for any salesperson to sell things to you, but only you know if you will get enough use out of it.  IMO  All sales people make us think we need it.  Or we can wear with a t-shirt and jeans.  Ha