Regular Contributor

@NickNack   Thanks for your help!  I was afraid of that, most cloths aren't recommend for use on some stones but turquoise is never specifically mentioned.  It's so hard to clean these pieces because it's nearly impossible to avoid the turquoise while cleaning the silver.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Yes, they do get very dirty - mine is no exception.  I keep it folded right there on the top of the bookcase where I put my jewelry when I take it off at night (rings, earrings, watch, chains) .... wipe the stuff in the morning before I put it back on.   Lifelong habit.

I ordered a 3-pack jewelery cloth from Amazon.  Just got an email it was delivered .... so I'll go down to the package room and pick it up later today ... and I'll be all ready tomorrow morning.

-----------------------

@Shanus wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Surprised how long a silver / jewelry polish cloth lasts!

I give my jewelry a quick once over with the polishing cloth before I put it on ... and since I wear the same stuff almost all the time - it's polished everyday.

Ths morning I'm looking at the cloth ... and realized I've been using the same cloth just about every day for the past 20 years - and it's done a great job but is rather soiled (aka dirty).

I just went on Amazon and bought a new one!  Old one is still doing a goodd job - and I hesitate to toss it.  Maybe I'll just fold it up and stick it n the bottom of the jewelry box.  

@ALRATIBA   You can purchase a pkg. of Sunshine Cloths (3-5 cloths) from an online jewelry making catalog or soometimes at a jewelry store. I keep 3 in rotation. I only wear white metals. What @Kachina624 says is true. The more you wear certain pieces, they never need polishing. I do, however have to clean earrings that I don't wear regularly. 

When I do polish many pieces for about 6 months, the cloths get very dingy and dirty. I can't believe yours lasted for decades!!! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Jewelry Polishng Cloth

[ Edited ]

@PJinIA wrote:

I have a LOT of silver/turquoise jewelry...does anyone know if the Sunshine Cloths are safe to use on turquoise?

@PJinIA    Why would you use a polishing cloth on a turquoise stone?  They don't tarnish and if the stone is dirty for some reason, a little mild soap and water ought to clean it up.  Polishing cloths are slightly abrasive so I wouldn't use them on a stone.  I wouldn't be concerned about slightly rubbing the stone while polishing the silver. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@PJinIA wrote:

I have a LOT of silver/turquoise jewelry...does anyone know if the Sunshine Cloths are safe to use on turquoise?

@PJinIA    Why would you use a polishing cloth on a turquoise stone?  They don't tarnish and if the stone is dirty for some reason, a little mild soap and water ought to clean it up.  Polishing cloths are slightly abrasive so I wouldn't use them on a stone.  I wouldn't be concerned about slightly rubbing the stone while polishing the silver. 

I'm not trying to clean the Turquoise, just the silver around the stones.  I have some in a needlepoint design which is impossible to clean the silver without also getting the stones in the process.  My question is simply, will the cloth damage the turquoise if I run the cloth over the turquoise while cleaning the silver.  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Shanus 

Yes, they do get very dirty - mine is no exception.  I keep it folded right there on the top of the bookcase where I put my jewelry when I take it off at night (rings, earrings, watch, chains) .... wipe the stuff in the morning before I put it back on.   Lifelong habit.

I ordered a 3-pack jewelery cloth from Amazon.  Just got an email it was delivered .... so I'll go down to the package room and pick it up later today ... and I'll be all ready tomorrow morning.

-----------------------

@Shanus wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Surprised how long a silver / jewelry polish cloth lasts!

I give my jewelry a quick once over with the polishing cloth before I put it on ... and since I wear the same stuff almost all the time - it's polished everyday.

Ths morning I'm looking at the cloth ... and realized I've been using the same cloth just about every day for the past 20 years - and it's done a great job but is rather soiled (aka dirty).

I just went on Amazon and bought a new one!  Old one is still doing a goodd job - and I hesitate to toss it.  Maybe I'll just fold it up and stick it n the bottom of the jewelry box.  

@ALRATIBA   You can purchase a pkg. of Sunshine Cloths (3-5 cloths) from an online jewelry making catalog or soometimes at a jewelry store. I keep 3 in rotation. I only wear white metals. What @Kachina624 says is true. The more you wear certain pieces, they never need polishing. I do, however have to clean earrings that I don't wear regularly. 

When I do polish many pieces for about 6 months, the cloths get very dingy and dirty. I can't believe yours lasted for decades!!! 

@ALRATIBA   Not to change your routine, but I'd keep the cloth in a ziplock bag to keep the "chemicals" in the cloth. I usually cut my cloths into smaller squares, but up to you. 

Honored Contributor

@PJinIA wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@PJinIA wrote:

I'm not trying to clean the Turquoise, just the silver around the stones.  I have some in a needlepoint design which is impossible to clean the silver without also getting the stones in the process.  My question is simply, will the cloth damage the turquoise if I run the cloth over the turquoise while cleaning the silver.  

@PJinIA   No, you should be okay.  That's the only way you can polish Zuni petit point jewelry.  I thought maybe you wanted your turquoise more shiny. 

Regular Contributor

@Kachina624 Thanks!  I had read somewhere that some soft stones can become discolored using cleaning cloths and I didn't want to risk it!  Off I go to Amazon to place an order! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@PJinIA    Virtually all the turquoise you buy in jewelry is stabilized which makes it impervious to lotions, oils, perfumes, most chemicals, etc. but it will scratch which is why I wouldn't vigorously rub it with a cloth as though trying to polish it. 

Regular Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@PJinIA    Virtually all the turquoise you buy in jewelry is stabilized which makes it impervious to lotions, oils, perfumes, most chemicals, etc. but it will scratch which is why I wouldn't vigorously rub it with a cloth as though trying to polish it. 

@Kachina624   I really appreciate you sharing that information...good to know it's not all that delicate.  Much of what you find on Google is so contradictory that it's hard to know what to believe. 

Honored Contributor

Cleaning cloths or any method to clean the silver parts, WILL damage pearls. I tend to stay away from pearls with shiny silver links or findings. Anything w/ pearls and silver that attracts me has oxidized silver.